Moving Meditation: Paik Nam June’s TV Buddha and Its Zen Buddhist Aesthetic Meaning
- 4 Downloads
The aesthetic spirit in Paik Nam June’s video art, TV Buddha, originated in the aesthetics of Zen Buddhism, and the parameters that established Paik’s aesthetic comprised the indigenous Eastern aesthetic idea of dongjing 動靜 (movement and stillness). Yi 逸 (unconventional naturalness) is the paramount aesthetic in Zen Buddhism, suggesting the transcendence of preexisting tracks and conventions. Paik’s behavioral music, to which he was dedicated before pioneering video art in earnest, was related to yi in terms of the complete aspects of forms, themes, and so on, evidently under the influence of avant-garde musical composer John Cage. The Zen Buddhist aesthetic—and Paik’s artistic motto—is to capture the essence of the self and the world through the destruction of stereotypes. Paik’s artistic uniqueness lies in his attempts to combine his traditional culture and spirit—the culture and ideas of Korea and Eastern Asia—with cutting-edge technology. The hallmark of Paik’s video art can be understood as a suggestion of philosophical subjects guided by the interrelation between a graphical presentation on a TV screen and the whole installation setup. The philosophical subject in TV Buddha is Zen Buddhist meditation symbolized in the structure of dongjing.
KeywordsPaik Nam June TV Buddha dongjing 動靜 (movement and stillness) yi 逸 (unconventional naturalness) Zen Buddhist meditation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This paper was supported by Samsung Research Fund, Sungkyunkwan University, 2014.
- Cheng, Fuwang 成復旺. 1995. Chinese Aesthetics Category Dictionary 中國美學範疇辭典. Beijing 北京: Zhongguo Renmin Daxue Chubanse 中國人民大學出版社.Google Scholar
- Decker-Phillips, Edith. 1997. Paik Video. Trans. by Karin Koppensteiner, Marie-Geneviève Iselin, and George Quasha. Barrytown: The Station Hill Arts. http://web.guggenheim.org/exhibitions/thirdmind/paik_bio.swf
- Kim, Eunji 김은지. 2011. Video Sculpture and Zen-ga 비디오조각과 젠가. Seoul 서울시: Haksul Jeongbo 학술정보.Google Scholar
- Kim, Honghee 김홍희. 2007. Good Morning Mr. Paik 굿모닝, 미스터 백. Seoul 서울시: Design House.Google Scholar
- Kim, Inkyeong 김인경. 2003. “Paik Nam June’s Performance and Danxia’s Burning Buddhist Statue 백남준의 퍼포먼스와 단하소불.” Pulkyo Sinmun 佛敎新聞, August 13.Google Scholar
- Kim, Yeongjae 김영재. 2006. “Lee Myeong Hwan’s Performance, Articecle 이명환의 퍼포먼스, 아티시클.” Art World 미술세계 256: 69–71.Google Scholar
- Kim, Yongok 김용옥. 1992. S hi Tao’s Art Theory 석도화론. Seoul 서울시: Tongnamu 통나무.Google Scholar
- Lee, Yongwoo 이용우. 2000. P aik Nam June, That Intense Life and Art 백남준, 그 치열한 삶과 예술. Seoul 서울시: Yeleumsa 열음사.Google Scholar
- Lim, Taeseung 임태승. 2014. Aesthetics and Creative Management 미학과 창의경영. Yangpyeong 양평: B2 Publishing House.Google Scholar
- ______. 2015. “Signs of the Sacred: The Confucian Body and Symbolic Power.” Philosophy East & West 65.4: 1030–1051.Google Scholar
- Liu, Mo 劉墨. 2002. Chinese Buddhism and Artistic Atmosphere 禪學與藝境. Shijiazhuang 石家莊: Hebei Jiaoyu Chubanshe 河北敎育出版社.Google Scholar
- Mellencamp, Patricia. 1995. “The Old and the New: Nam June Paik.” Art Journal 54.4 (Video Art, Winter): 41–47.Google Scholar
- Mencius. 2011. In Chinese Text Project, edited by Donald Sturgeon. https://ctext.org/mengzi (last accessed on October 5, 2018).
- Paik, Nam June. 1993. “Interview 1992.” Interview by Otto Hahn. In Nam June Paik: eine DATA base: la Biennale di Venezia XLV, esposizione internazionale d’arte. 13.6.–10.10.1993, edited by Klaus Buβmann and Florian Matzner. Stuttgart: Edition Cantz.Google Scholar
- Qi, Zhixiang 祁志祥. 1997. Buddhist Aesthetics 佛敎美學. Shanghai 上海: Shanghai Renmin Chubanshe 上海人民出版社.Google Scholar
- Smith, Walter. 1991–1993. “Narrative as Icon in the Art of Amaravati and Nagarjunakonda.” Journal of the Indian Society of Oriental Art n.s. 20/21: 5–8.Google Scholar
- Song, Taehyeon 송태현. 2010. “Artistic World of Nam June Paik and Traditional Thoughts 백남준 예술세계와 전통사상.” Humanistic Contents 인문콘텐츠 19: 491–510.Google Scholar
- Xunzi. 2011. In Chinese Text Project, edited by Donald Sturgeon. https://ctext.org/xunzi (last accessed on October 5, 2018).
- Yenawine, Philip. 2009. How to Look at Modern Art 현대 미술 감상의 길잡이. Trans. by the Center for Korean Art 한국미술연구소. Seoul 서울시: Sigong Art 시공아트.Google Scholar