Confucian Moral Cultivation, Longevity, and Public Policy
By investigating the link between the Confucian ideal of longevity and moral cultivation, I argue that Confucian moral cultivation is founded on the ideal of harmony, and, in this connection, it promotes a holistic, healthy life, of which longevity is an important component. My argument is internal to Confucianism, in the sense that it aims to show these concepts are coherently constructed within the Confucian philosophical framework; I do not go beyond the Confucian framework to prove its validity. Finally, I show that if these Confucian beliefs are true, they have serious implications for public policy-making in contemporary societies.
KeywordsQi Harmony Moral cultivation Longevity Holistic life Public health policy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Analects. 1964. In Zhu Xi’s The Four Books Annotated 四書集註. Hong Kong 香港: Taiping Shuju 太平書局.Google Scholar
- Brandt, Allan M. & Paul Rozin, eds. 1997. Morality and Health. New York: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Lai, Kehong 来可泓. 2000. A Straightforward Interpretation of the Guoyu 國語直解. Shanghai 上海: Fudan Daxue Chubanshe 復旦大學出版社.Google Scholar
- _____. 2008b. “The Ideal of Harmony in Ancient Chinese and Greek Philosophy,” Dao: A Journal of Comparative Philosophy VII.1: 81–98.Google Scholar
- Lin, Yutang. 1937. The Importance of Living. New York: Quill.Google Scholar
- Mencius. 1964. In Zhu Xi’s The Four Books Annotated 四書集註. Hong Kong: Taiping Books.Google Scholar
- Thirteen Classics with Commentaries 十三經注疏. 1985. Beijing: 北京: Zhongguo Shudian 中國書店.Google Scholar
- Twenty-Two Masters 二十二子. 1986. Shanghai 上海: Shanghai Guji Chubanshe 上海古籍出版社.Google Scholar
- Yang, Liang 楊倞. 1971. Collected Interpretations of the Xunzi 荀子集解. Taibei 臺北:Wenguang Chubanshe 文廣出版社.Google Scholar
- Yang, Rubin 楊儒賓. 2004. The Confucian View of the Person 儒家身體觀. Taibei 臺北: Institute of Chinese Literature and Philosophy, Academy Sinica 中央研究院/中國文哲研究所.Google Scholar
- Zhongyong, the. 1964. In Zhu Xi’s The Four Books Annotated 四書集註. Hong Kong 香港: Taiping Shuju 太平書局.Google Scholar
- Zong, Fubang 宗福邦, et al. 2004. 《故訓匯纂》 Collected Usages of Words in Classics. Beijng: 商務出版社 Shangwu Press.Google Scholar