Punching shear behavior of recycled aggregate concrete slabs with and without steel fibres
A study on the punching shear behavior of 8 slabs with recycled aggregate concrete (RAC) was carried out. The two main factors considered were the recycled coarse aggregate (RCA) replacement percentage and the steel fibre volumetric ratio. The failure pattern, load-displacement curves, energy consumption, and the punching shear capacity of the slabs were intensively investigated. It was concluded that the punching shear capacity, ductility and energy consumption decreased with the increase of RCA replacement percentage. Research findings indicated that the incorporation of steel fibres could not only improve the energy dissipation capacity and the punching shear capacity of the slab, but also effectively improve the integrity of the slab tension surface and thereby changing the trend from typical punching failure pattern to bending-punching failure pattern. On the basis of the test, the punching shear capacity formula of RAC slabs with and without steel fibres was proposed and discussed.
Keywordsrecycled aggregate concrete steel fibres slab punching shear recycled coarse aggregates replacement percentage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors wish to acknowledge the financial support from the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) (Grant No. 51438007 and 51661145023). Mr. Chunhui Wang is acknowledged for his assistance during the revision.
- 1.Marzouk H, Hussein A. Experimental investigation on the behavior of high-strength concrete slabs. ACI Materials Journal, 1991, 88(6): 701–713Google Scholar
- 2.Guandalini S, Burdet O L, Muttoni A. Punching tests of slabs with low reinforcement ratios. ACI Materials Journal, 2009, 106(1): 87–95Google Scholar
- 3.Talbot A N. Reinforced Concrete Wall Footings and Column Footings. Engineering Experiment Station. 1913Google Scholar
- 5.Choi K, Taha M, Sherif A. Simplified punching shear design method for slab-column connections using fuzzy learning. ACI Materials Journal, 2007, 104(4): 438–447Google Scholar
- 7.American Concrete Institute (ACI). Building Code requirements for structural concrete. ACI 318–11. 2011Google Scholar
- 8.Canadian Standards Association (CSA). Design of concrete structures for buildings. CSA-A23.3-04. 2004Google Scholar
- 9.Eurocode 2: Design of Concrete Structures-Part 1–1. General rules and rules for buildings. BS EN 1992–1-1, 2004: 97–105Google Scholar
- 10.CEB-FIP. Model Code. Bulletin D’ Information No. 203–205. 2004Google Scholar
- 11.Richard C E, Hognestad E. Shearing strength of reinforced concrete slabs. ACI Materials Journal, 1956, 53(7): 29–58Google Scholar
- 12.Moe J. Shearing Strength of Reinforced Concrete Slabs and Footings under Concentrated Loads. Development Department Bulletin D47. 1961Google Scholar
- 14.Zheng Z Q, Ouyang C S. Punching strength of reinforced concrete circular slabs. Journal of Building Structures, 1985, 6(6): 12–22 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 15.Zheng Z Q. The punching strength of reinforced concrete slabs with consideration of bending impaction. Proceedings of the Second Symposium on the Basic Theory and Application of Concrete Structures, 1990: 501–508Google Scholar
- 16.Zheng Y W. Experimental study on punching shear of reinforced concrete slabs. Thesis for the Master’s Degree. Changsha: Hunan University, 2009 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 17.Swamy R N, Ali S. Punching shear behavior of reinforced slabcolumn connections made with steel fibres concrete. Journal of the American Concrete Institute, 1982, 79(5): 392–406Google Scholar
- 18.An Y J, Zhao G F, Huang C K. The experimental research of the steel fibres reinforced concrete slab punching shear resistance (I). Journal of Building Structures, 1994, 15(2): 11–16 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 19.An Y J, Zhao G F, Huang C K. The experimental research of the steel fibres reinforced concrete slab punching shear resistance (II). Journal of Building Structures, 1994, 15(3): 63–65 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 28.Lin X J, Zheng Z Q, Qian Z Z. Experimental study on steel fibres reinforced concrete punching plate. Journal of Building Structures, 2012, 24(5): 73, 76–77 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 29.Zhou K R. The process, working mechanics and carry capacity research of punching behaviour of concrete slabs. Dissertation for the Doctoral Degree. Shanghai: Tongji University, 1990 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 31.Yang K. The reliability analysis of reinforced concrete slabs in punching shear. Dissertation for the Doctoral Degree. Changsha: Hunan University, 2012, 14 (in Chinese)Google Scholar