Organochlorine pesticide residues in surface water from Sichuan Basin to Aba Prefecture profile, east of the Tibetan Plateau
Organochlorine pesticides (OCPs) found in rivers from the Sichuan Basin to Aba Prefecture profile were analyzed to assess possible health risks to adults and children who use the river as a source of drinking water. OCP concentrations in surface water ranged between 22.29–274.28 ng·L−1. Compared with other published data around the world, OCP levels in this study were moderate. Among all OCPs, hexachlorobenzene (HCB) and hexachlorocyclohexanes (HCHs) were the predominant compounds. Higher concentrations of OCPs were attributed close to the agricultural fields of the Sichuan Basin, current OCPs inputs, and long-range atmospheric transport from abroad. Various spatial patterns of OCPs in the profile might be affected by the usage and physicochemical properties of the pesticides, in addition to the adjacent geographical environment. The health risk assessment indicated that most OCPs had little impact on human health according to the acceptable risk level for carcinogens (10−6) recommended by the US EPA. However, carcinogenic effects caused by heptachlor, Aldrin, HCB, and α-HCH might occur in drinking water. The risk of negative impacts caused by OCPs is much higher for children than for adults.
Keywordsorganochlorine pesticides (OCPs) surface water spatial distribution health risk assessment Tibetan Plateau
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Cai M H, Ma Y X, Xie Z Y, Zhong G C, Moller A, Yang H Z, Sturm R, He J F, Ebinghaus R, Meng X Z (2012). Distribution and air-sea exchange of organochlorine pesticides in the North Pacific and the Arctic. J Geophys Res, 117(D6): D06311Google Scholar
- Liu H X, Qi S H, Xu F, Xing X L, Li F, Liu J, Qu C K (2013a). Contaminant characteristics of organochloride pesticides in the atmosphere of Aba Prefecture, Sichuan. China Sciencepaper, 8(3): 230–235Google Scholar
- Liu WX, He W, Qin N, Kong X Z, He Q S, Ouyang H L, Yang B, Wang Q M, Yang C, Jiang Y J, Wu W J, Xu F L (2012). Residues, distributions, sources, and ecological risks of OCPs in the water from Lake Chaohu, China. Scientific World Journal, 897697Google Scholar
- Mirsadeghi S A, Zakaria M P, Yap C K, Shahbazi A (2011). Risk assessment for the daily intake of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons from the ingestion of cockle (Anadara granosa) and exposure to contaminated water and sediments along the west coast of Peninsular Malaysia. J Environ Sci (China), 23(2): 336–345CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang Z L, Hong H S, Wang X H, Lin J Q, Chen W Q, Xu L (2002). Determination and load of organophosphorus and organochlorine pesticides at water from Jiulong River Estuary, China. Mar Pollut Bull, 45(1–2): 397–402Google Scholar