Microwave assisted synthesis of poly(2-hydroxyethylmethacrylate) grafted agar (Ag-g-P(HEMA)) and its application as a flocculant for wastewater treatment
- 165 Downloads
Poly(2-hydroxyethylmethacrylate) chains were grafted onto the backbone of agar using a microwave assisted method involving a combination of microwave irradiation and ceric ammonium nitrate to initiate the grafting reaction. The synthesized graft copolymers were characterized by intrinsic viscosity measurements, Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy, elemental analysis (C, H, N, O and S) and scanning electron microscopy. Ag-g-P (HEMA)-2 showed a much higher flocculation efficacy than agar. The optimized dosage of flocculation for Ag-g-P (HEMA)-2 in the wastewater was found to be 0.75 ppm. Compared to agar, Ag-g-P(HEMA)-2 was found to considerably reduce the pollutant load in the wastewater.
Keywordsagar flocculant microwave assisted synthesis jar test protocol poly(HEMA) grafted agar wastewater treatment
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Wuttisela K, Panijpan B, Triampo W, Triampo D. Optimization of the water absorption by crosslinked agar-g-poly(acrylic acid). Polymer (Korea), 2008, 32(6): 537–543Google Scholar
- 3.Armisen R, Galatas F. Properties and uses of agar, production and utilization of products from commercial seaweeds (Ch. 1). Fisheries and Aquaculture Organization, 1987, 288: 1–57Google Scholar
- 4.Odian G. Principles of polymerization (3rd edition). New York: John wiley & sons, 1991, 2: 17–19Google Scholar
- 5.Gowariker V R, Viswanathan N V, Sreedhar J. Polymer Science. New Delhi: New age International (p) Ltd, 1986, 91–92Google Scholar
- 16.Shiraishi N, Williams J L, Stannett V. The radiation grafting of vinyl monomers to cotton fabrics. I. Methacrylic acid to terry cloth towelling. Radiation Physics and Chemistry, 1982, 19: 73–78Google Scholar
- 18.Carenza M. Recent achievements in the use of radiation polymerization and grafting for biomedical applications. Radiation Physics and Chemistry, 1992, 39: 485–493Google Scholar
- 28.Chen C, Li X, Li Z. Graft copolymerization of acrylamide onto the UV-Ray irradiated film of polyester-polyether. Chinese Journal of Polymer Science, 1988, 6: 1Google Scholar
- 40.Sen G, Sharon A, Pal S. Grafted polysaccharides: smart materials of the future, their synthesis and applications (Chapter 05). USA: Wiley-Scrivener, 2011, 99–128Google Scholar
- 41.Tripathy T, Ranjan De B. Flocculation: a new way to treat the waste water. Journal of Physiological Sciences; JPS, 2006, 10: 93–127Google Scholar
- 43.Singh J, Yadav L D S. Organic Synthesis. A pragati Prakadshan, 2008, 1–652Google Scholar
- 47.Temel O, Ismail C. Synthesis of block copolymers via redox polymerization process: a critical review. Iranian Polymer Journal, 2007, 16(8): 561–581Google Scholar