The ICP-OES method for determination of zinc in Enchytraeus crypticus and agarose gel from ecotoxicological tests
- 35 Downloads
A simple ICP-OES (inductively coupled plasma optical emission spectrometry) method for determination of zinc in Enchytraeus crypticus and agarose gel samples from ecotoxicological tests is proposed. The E. crypticus individuals are separated, water washed, wet weighed and dissolved in tetramethylammonium hydroxide. The gel is digested in HNO3. The method (limit of detection in mg kg−1: 0.90 for E. crypticus bulk biomass, 14 for one E. crypticus worm and 0.0018 for gel) was employed in the evaluation of ZnO nanoparticles (ZnO-NPs) compared to ZnCl2: bioaccumulation factors were 57–180 for ZnCl2 and 23–65 for ZnO-NPs.
KeywordsEnchytraeus crypticus Zinc oxide nanoparticles Ecotoxicity test ICP-OES Microsamples Targeted analysis
The authors acknowledge the support from the University of Pardubice, Faculty of Chemical Technology project SG FCHT 05/16 and SG FCHT 05/17.
- Carbone S, Hertel-Aas T, Joner EJ, Oughton DH (2016) Bioavailability of CeO2 and SnO2 nanoparticles evaluated by dietary uptake in the earthworm Eisenia fetida and sequential extraction of soil and feed (Article). Chemosphere 162:16–22. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemosphere.2016.07.044 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gonzalez L, Cundari E, Leyns L, Kirsch-Volders M (2017) Towards a new paradigm in nano-genotoxicology: facing complexity of nanomaterials’ cellular interactions and effects (Article; Proceedings Paper). Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 121:23–29. https://doi.org/10.1111/bcpt.12698 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- ISO (2014) Soil Quality—effects of contaminants on Enchytraeidae (Enchytraeus sp.)—determination of effects on reproduction. No. 16387. GenevaGoogle Scholar
- Posthuma L, Baerselman R, Van Veen RPM, Dirven-Van Breemen EM (1997) Single and joint toxic effects of copper and zinc on reproduction of Enchytraeus crypticus in relation to sorption of metals in soils (Article). Ecotoxicol Environ Saf 38(2):108–121. https://doi.org/10.1006/eesa.1997.1568 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Topuz E, van Gestel CAM (2015) Toxicokinetics and toxicodynamics of differently coated silver nanoparticles and silver nitrate in Enchytraeus crypticus upon aqueous exposure in an inert sand medium (Article). Environ Toxicol Chem 34(12):2816–2823. https://doi.org/10.1002/etc.3123 CrossRefGoogle Scholar