RETRACTED ARTICLE: Use of Barbed Sutures in Bariatric Surgery. Review of the Literature
Performing intracorporeal anastomoses and sutures is possibly the technique that requires the greater skill in laparoscopy. The emergence of new barbed sutures seems to facilitate the practice, with bariatric surgery (mainly in mixed and malabsorptive techniques) being one of the specialties that can most benefit from them. This review aims to evaluate barbed sutures’ use and safety in bariatric surgery. Barbed sutures might facilitate the practice by improving some aspects of surgery such as reproducibility and operative time, although further research is needed.
KeywordsBarbed suture Laparoscopic anastomosis Laparoscopic knots Bariatric surgery
A S-M was funded by the Spanish Ministry of Education, Culture and Sport (grant number FPU12/00963).
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
Does not apply
- 1.Alcamo JH, inventor. Surgical suture. US patent 3,123,077. March 3, 1964. McKenzie AR. An experimental multiple barbed suture for the long flexor tendons of the palm and fingers. Preliminary report. J Bone Joint Surg Br 1967;49(3):440–7.Google Scholar
- 9.Robotic-assisted minimally invasive surgery for gynecologic and urologic oncology: an evidence-based analysis. Ontario health technology assessment series. 2010;10(27):1–118.Google Scholar
- 11.Greenberg JA, Goldman RH. Barbed suture : a review of the obstetrics and gynecology 2013;6(3):107–15.Google Scholar
- 25.Borzio RW, Pivec R, Kapadia BH, et al. Barbed sutures in total hip and knee arthroplasty: what is the evidence? A Meta-Anal. Int Orthop. 2015;17.Google Scholar
- 32.Edil BH, Cooper MA, Makary MA. Laparoscopic pancreaticojejunostomy using a barbed suture: a novel technique. J Laparoendosc Adv Surg Tech A. 2014 Nov 20.Google Scholar
- 33.Fernandez LC, Toriz A, Hernandez J et al. Knotless choledochorraphy with barbed suture, safe and feasible. Surg Endosc 2015; 5.Google Scholar
- 43.Segura-Sampedro JJ, Ashrafian H, Navarro-Sánchez A et al.. Small bowel obstruction due to laparoscopic barbed sutures: An unknown complication? Rev Esp Enferm Dig. 2015; 107(11).Google Scholar