Preventative Sleeve Gastrectomy Contributes to Maintaining β Cell Function in db/db Diabetic Mouse
- 316 Downloads
We used the leptin-receptor (LPR)-deficient mice model (db/db), a spontaneous model of type 2 diabetes with early β cell dysfunction to determine whether a preventative sleeve gastrectomy (SG) is an effective technique for the treatment of β cell failure.
The animals operated at an early stage of life, prior to metabolic alterations, were used to study the molecular mechanisms of β cell function improvement after a SG.
β cell function was significantly increased, and islet morphology remained normal, after the SG. The expression of Glut2, Pdx1, MafA, and Nkx6.1 were significantly increased after the SG. The expression of GLP-1 in the colonic tissue, as well as GLP-1R and PKC in islets, was significantly increased after the SG.
β cell dysfunction can be ameliorated by a preventative SG for db/db mice. Maintaining the GLP-1 pathway and key transcript factor (TF) activation contributes to the improvement of β cell function after a preventative SG.
KeywordsSleeve gastrectomy Pancreatic β cell Islet Transcript factor GLP-1
Compliance with Ethical Standards
All of the animal experiments were conducted in accordance with the Guide for the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals published by the National Institutes of Health.
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
Statement of Animal Rights
All applicable institutional and/or national guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed.
This research is supported by grants from Shanghai Natural Science Foundation (14ZR1436600).
The authors have nothing to disclose.
- 6.Grong E, Kulseng B, Arbo IB, Nord C, Eriksson M, Ahlgren U, Mårvik R. Sleeve gastrectomy, but not duodenojejunostomy, preserves total beta-cell mass in Goto-Kakizaki rats evaluated by three-dimensional optical projection tomography. Surg Endosc. 2015 Jun 12.Google Scholar
- 7.Lee WJ, Almulaifi A, Tsou JJ, Ser KH, Lee YC, Chen SC. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy for type 2 diabetes mellitus: predicting the success by ABCD score. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2014 Dec 31.Google Scholar
- 8.Khorgami Z, Andalib A, Aminian A, Kroh MD, Schauer PR, Brethauer SA. Predictors of readmission after laparoscopic gastric bypass and sleeve gastrectomy: a comparative analysis of ACS-NSQIP database. Surg Endosc. 2015 Aug 26. [Epub ahead of print].Google Scholar
- 26.Waeber G, Thompson N, Nicod P, et al. Transcriptional activation of the GLUT2 gene by the IPF-1/STF-1/IDX-1 homeobox factor. Mol Endocrinol. 1996;19:1327–34.Google Scholar
- 28.Raum JC, Gerrish K, Artner I, et al. FoxA2, Nkx2.2, and PDX-1 regulate islet beta-cell-specific mafA expression through conserved sequences located between base pairs −8118 and −7750 upstream from the transcription start site. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26(15):5735–43.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar