The Effect of PPI Use on Human Gut Microbiota and Weight Loss in Patients Undergoing Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass
Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass (LRYGB) achieves sustainable weight loss possibly by altering the gut microbiota. The effect of a proton pump inhibitor (PPI) on weight loss and the gut microbiota has not been explored. PPI use and the gut microbiota were assessed before and 6 months after LRYGB in eight patients. Bacterial profiles were generated by 16S ribosomal RNA (rRNA) gene sequencing. Prior to LRYGB, PPI users had a higher percent relative abundance (PRA) of Firmicutes compared to nonusers. PPI users at 6 months post-LRYGB had a higher PRA of Firmicutes [48.6 versus 35.6 %, p = nonsignificant (NS)] and a trend toward significantly lower percent excess weight loss (49.3 versus 61.4 %, p = 0.067) compared to nonusers. PPI use post-LRYGB may impair weight loss by modifying gut microbiota.
KeywordsPPI Severe obesity Gut microbiota Gastric bypass
Percent relative abundance
Proton pump inhibitor
Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y gastric bypass
Percent weight loss
Percent excess weight loss
This project was supported by a grant from the Colorado Clinical Translational Science Institute Project Grant (5UL1RR025780).
Conflict of Interest
No conflicts of interest exist for any of the authors.
No writing assistance was provided for this manuscript.
- 7.Graessler J et al. Metagenomic sequencing of the human gut microbiome before and after bariatric surgery in obese patients with type 2 diabetes: correlation with inflammatory and metabolic parameters. Pharmacogenomics J. 2012;2(10):43.Google Scholar
- 8.Liou AP, et al. Conserved shifts in the gut microbiota due to gastric bypass reduce host weight and adiposity. Sci Transl Med., 2013. 5(178): p. 178ra41. doi: 10.1126/scitranslmed.3005687.
- 11.Lo WK, Chan WW. Proton pump inhibitor use and the risk of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth: a meta-analysis. Clin Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2012;24(12):011.Google Scholar
- 20.Robertson CE, et al. Explicet: graphical user interface software for metadata-driven management, analysis, and visualization of microbiome data. Bioinformatics. (in press), 2013.Google Scholar
- 21.Magurran AE. Measuring biological diversity. Malden, USA: Blackwell; 2004.Google Scholar
- 23.Ward EK et al. Acid suppression medications delay peak weight loss after bariatric surgery. Gastroenterology. 2013;144(5, Supplement 1):S-270.Google Scholar