Reinforcing the Staple Line During Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy: Prospective Randomized Clinical Study Comparing Two Different Techniques. Preliminary results
- 748 Downloads
Sleeve gastrectomy involves the creation of small gastric reservoir based on lesser curvature of the stomach, which is fashioned by a longitudinal gastrectomy that preserves the antrum and pylorus together with its vagal innervation. The main complications in the early postoperative course are bleeding and gastric leak. In order to reduce these complications the staple line can be reinforced in many different ways. The purpose of this study was to randomly compare two different techniques in laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG): buttressing the staple line at the gastroesophageal junction (angle of Hiss) with Gore Seamguard and staple-line suturing with PDS 2.0.
Between July 2009 and July 2010, 90 patients were prospectively and randomly enrolled in the two different techniques of handling the staple line during LSG. Forty-eight of these patients belonged in group A (application of Gore Seamguard) and 42 in group B (application of a continuous suture). Operative and postoperative complications were recorded.
Postoperative leak affected two patients in group A (4.2%) and bleeding occurred in one patient of group A (2%). Total complication rate was 6.2% for group A. No major surgical complication occurred in group B. The differences between the two groups did not reach statistical significance.
No significant difference is evidenced in terms of bleeding and postoperative leak between the two techniques of enhancing the staple line in LSG. Suturing of the staple line may be more time consuming but costs are considerably less.
KeywordsLSG Complications Staple-line reinforcement Buttressing materials
Conflict of interest disclosure
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 1.Deitel M, Crosby RD, Gagner M. The First International Consensus Summit for Sleeve Gastrectomy (SG), New York City, October 25–27, 2007. Obes Surg. 2008;8:87–96.Google Scholar