Improvement in Quality of Life After Laparoscopic Sleeve Gastrectomy
- 388 Downloads
Few studies have investigated changes in health-related quality of life (HRQOL) in surgical patients who have undergone a laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy. Prospective data were obtained from 78 consecutive patients undergoing laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy (LSG; mean age, 42.4 years; mean body weight, 131 kg; mean body mass index (BMI), 47 kg/m2 (24.4% of superobese patients)). Two HRQOL questionnaires were administered preoperatively and 12 months postsurgery: the generic Medical Outcomes Study Short Form-36 and the weight-specific IWQOL-Lite questionnaire. Excess weight loss at 12 months was 57.18%. No mortality was recorded. HRQOL scores revealed a significant improvement in all areas of both questionnaires. However, changes in HRQOL were not associated consistently with amount of weight loss. Laparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy is an effective and safe procedure, with positive changes in health-related quality of life as well as weight reduction. A fruitful area for future research is the investigation of long-term changes in HRQOL after LSG.
KeywordsLaparoscopic sleeve gastrectomy Health-related quality of life SF-36 IWQOL-Lite
Dr. Nocca is a consultant for Ethicon Endosurgery and Tutogen Medical.
- 1.Laboratoire ROCHE Enquête ObEpI2006 L’obésité et le surpoids en France—Dossier de presse. 2011.Google Scholar
- 2.Haute autorité de santé. Obésité: Rapport sur la prise en charge chirurgicale chez l’adulte. Saint-Denis La Plaine: HAS; 2009.Google Scholar
- 9.Ware J, Snow K, Kosinski M, et al. SF-36 health survey: manual and interpretation guide. Boston: The Health Institute, New England Medical Center; 1993.Google Scholar
- 13.Sabbagh C, Verhaeghe P, Dhahri A, et al. Two-year results on morbidity, weight loss and quality of life of sleeve gastrectomy as first procedure, sleeve gastrectomy after failure of gastric banding and gastric banding. Obesity Surgery. 2009.Google Scholar
- 17.Haute Autorité de Santé—Gastrectomie longitudinale pour obésité—Avis sur l’acte Février. 2008. p. 9.Google Scholar