Phytochemical composition, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of leaves of Olea europaea wild variety
- 7 Downloads
In the present study, three different leaf extracts of wild variety of Olea europaea were tested for their phytochemical composition, antioxidant and antimicrobial activities. The antimicrobial activities were determined using the well diffusion method. Phytochemical screening revealed that aqueous, ethanol and ethyl acetate extracts contained alkaloids, flavonoids, steroids, saponins, phenols and tannins while only ethyl acetate fraction was negative for glycosides. Ethanol extract of the plant was observed to have highest contents of alkaloids, flavonoids and phenols. The free radical reducing power assay, DPPH and hydrogen peroxide radical scavenging activities of ethanol extract of O. europaea showed a linear correlation with phenol contents. Ethanol extract was more effective against most of the pathogenic bacteria while aqueous and ethyl acetate extracts were found more potent against most of the fungal strains. The current study revealed that wild variety of O. europaea is as an efficient source of antioxidant and antimicrobial phytochemicals.
KeywordsAntioxidant activity Antibacterial activity Antifungal activity Olea europaea Phytochemicals
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- 1.A.M. Al-Othman, I. Hussain, H. Khan, M.U. Rehman, A.A. Abdeltawab, R. Ullah, S. Noor, M. Talha, J. Med. Plants Res. 6, 4005 (2012)Google Scholar
- 7.M.A. Hashmi, A. Khan, M. Hanif, U. Farooq, S. Perveen, Alternat. Med. 2015, 1 (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.A. Karimi, M.T. Moradi, J. Herbmed. Pharmacol. 4, 35 (2015)Google Scholar
- 17.G.A. Ayoola, H.A.B. Coker, S.A. Adesegun, A.A. Adepoju-Bello, K. Obaweya, E.C. Ezennia, T.O. Atangbayila, Trop. J. Pharm. Res. 7, 1019 (2008)Google Scholar
- 24.G. Tayoub, H. Sulaiman, A.H. Hassan, M. Alorfi, Int. J. Med. Arom. Plants 2, 428 (2012)Google Scholar
- 28.F. Aqil, I. Ahmad, Z. Mehmood, Turk. J. Biol. 30, 177 (2006)Google Scholar
- 33.R. Rao, S.D. Ahmad, S.M. Sabir, S. Awan, A.H. Shah, M.F. Khan, S.A. Khan, S. Shafique, S. Arif, S.R. Abbas, M. Gohar, J. Med. Plants Res. 7, 155 (2013)Google Scholar
- 35.A. Kumaran, R.J. Karunakaran, LWT-Food. Sci. Technol. 40, 322 (2007)Google Scholar