Effect of packaging materials on the quality of kiwifruits (Actinidia deliciosa cv. Hayward)
Effect of two different packaging materials on the shelf-life of Actinidia fruits cv. Hayward (kiwifruits), was investigated during 5 months (140 days) of storage at 0.5 °C. Kiwifruits were packaged in a Biaxially Oriented Polypropylene Films (BOPP) and Polypropylen/Polyethylene Films (PP). Physico-chemical fruit characteristics (headspace gas composition, firmness, pH, Brix) were monitored every 14 days during storage. Ascorbic acid and total phenolic content of kiwifruits were also evaluated as well as the radical scavenging potential by using 2,2′-azinobis-(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulfonic acid) (ABTS) and 2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl (DPPH) tests. Changes of the kiwifruit firmness, soluble solid content and titratable acidity were less evident by using BOPP film compared with PP film and control samples. At the end of experimentation, kiwifruits packaged with BOPP were found to maintain a promising content of bioactive compounds and a high consistency of the flesh. Results suggested that BOPP film packaging can be used to prevent fruit decay and may be a useful technique to maintain the quality of kiwifruits.
KeywordsBiaxially oriented polypropylene Polypropylen/polyethylene films Physico-chemical characteristics Antioxidant activity Shelf-life
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Authors declare no conflicts of interest.
- 9.C. Peano, N.R. Giuggioli, V. Girgenti, Int. Food Res. J. 21, 1165 (2014)Google Scholar
- 15.International Federation of Fruit Juice Producers (IFU). (2005). Methods of analysis and microbiological methods. Retrieved from. ifu-fruitjuice.com/ifu-methodsGoogle Scholar
- 16.S.K. Thimmaiah, In: Standard method of Biochemical analysis, 3rd edn. (Kalyani Publisher, New Delhi, 1999), p. 278Google Scholar
- 28.V. Sicari, A.M. Giuffrè, A. Piscopo, M. Poiana, Riv. Ital. Sostanze Gr. 86, 215 (2009)Google Scholar
- 29.A.M. Giuffrè, A. Piscopo, V. Sicari, M. Poiana, Riv. Ital. Sostanze Gr. 87, 14 (2010)Google Scholar
- 30.V. Sicari, A.M. Giuffrè, L. Louadi, M. Poiana, Riv. Ital. Sostanze Gr. 87, 105 (2010)Google Scholar
- 33.P. Sass, Fruit storage, Ed. Árpád Aranyossy. Budapest, (1993).Google Scholar