New evidence of anthocyanins reduction in fruit juices on Pt electrode, and separate investigation of their oxidized and reduced forms
- 27 Downloads
The deterioration of colour of juices containing anthocyanins when antioxidant (ascorbic acid) is added, shows that the approach to the improvement of antioxidant properties of juices containing anthocyanins should be re-evaluated. Despite the importance of the characterization of content of reduced forms of anthocyanins in a redox system, there are no data about separate investigations of oxidized and reduced forms of redox substances in fruits and fruit products. In this article, new evidence of separate determination of oxidized and reduced forms of anthocyanins in fruit juices on Pt electrode, has been demonstrated. For the first time, electrochemical parameters and mechanism of reduction conversion of oxidized anthocyanins of fruit juices on Pt electrode have been substantiated. It has been established that redox reactions of anthocyanidins of fruit juices under acidic conditions include the transition of electrons in a single reaction, followed by the disproportionation reaction. The treatment of aronia juice on Pt cathode for 20 min allowed for conversion of 44% of oxidized forms of anthocyanins into reduced forms without deterioration of organoleptic properties. The content of anthocyanins, calculated as the content of cyanidin–galactoside, was 250.3 mg per 100 mL FW of aronia juice, including 76.3 mg of reduced forms. Therefore, the electrochemical method allows for separate determination of anthocyanins in fruit juices. It can be seen that electrochemical reduction on Pt electrode is useful for improving antioxidant properties of anthocyanins in fruit juices.
KeywordsFruit juices Anthocyanins Electrochemical reduction Content of reduced and oxidized forms
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The author declare that she has no conflict of interest.
- 8.Z.N. Kishkovsky, I.M. Skurihin, Chemistry of Wine (Agropromizdat, Moscow, 1988) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 10.J.K. Vetter, Electrochemical Kinetic (Ximiya, Moscow, 1967)Google Scholar
- 11.M.J. Allen, Organic Electrode Processes (Gosudarstvennoe naychno-technicheskoe izdatelstvo chemicheskoj literaturu, Leningrad, 1961) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 12.P. Fedina, A. Yashin, N. Chernousova, Ximiya rastitelnogo suriya 2, 91–97 (2010) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 14.Y.G. Scorikova, Polyphenols of fruits, and Formation of the Colour of Products (Pischevaya promuslennist, Moscow, 1973) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 15.M. Poel-Langston, R. Wrolstad, Color degradation in an ascorbic acid-anthocyanin-flavanol model system. J. Food Sci. (1981). https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2621.1981.tb03026.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.F. Shahidi, Handbook of Antioxidants for Food Preservation (Woodhead Publishing, Cambridge, 2015)Google Scholar
- 20.L. Burak, The investigation of the content of anthocyanins in freshly squeezed juices from aronia, black currant, and Elderberry, growing in Belarus (2012). http://xn--e1aajfpcds8ay4h.com.ua/pages/view/893 (in Russian)