Mathematical model of flagella gene expression dynamics in Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium
Flagellar assembly in Salmonella is controlled by an intricate genetic and biochemical network. This network comprises of a number of inter-connected feedback loops, which control the assembly process dynamically. Critical among these are the FliA–FlgM feedback, FliZ-mediated positive feedback, and FliT-mediated negative feedback. In this work, we develop a mathematical model to track the dynamics of flagellar gene expression in Salmonella. Analysis of our model demonstrates that the network is wired to not only control the transition of the cell from a non-flagellated to a flagellated state, but to also control dynamics of gene expression during cell division. Further, we predict that FliZ encoded in the flagellar regulon acts as a critical secretion-dependent molecular link between flagella and Salmonella Pathogenicity Island 1 gene expression. Sensitivity analysis of the model demonstrates that the flagellar regulatory network architecture is extremely robust to mutations.
KeywordsFlagella Salmonella T3SS Gene regulation
This work was funded by the Innovative Young Biotechnologist Award (IYBA) 2010 program of the Department of Biotechnology, Ministry of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- Aldridge C, Poonchareon K, Saini S, Ewen T, Soloyva A, Rao CV, Imada K, Minamino T, Aldridge PD (2010) The interaction dynamics of a negative feedback loop regulates flagellar number in Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium. Mol Microbiol 78:1416–1430. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2958.2010.07415.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Chubiz JE, Golubeva YA, Lin D, Miller LD, Slauch JM (2010) FliZ regulates expression of the Salmonella pathogenicity island 1 invasion locus by controlling HilD protein activity in Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium. J Bacteriol 192:6261–6270. doi: 10.1128/JB.00635-00610 CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Takaya A, Erhardt M, Karata K, Winterberg K, Yamamoto T, Hughes KT (2012) YdiV: a dual function protein that targets FlhDC for ClpXP-dependent degradation by promoting release of DNA-bound FlhDC complex. Mol Microbiol 83:1268–1284. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2958.2012.08007.x CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tanabe Y, Wada T, Ono K, Abo T, Kutsukake K (2011) The transcript from the sigma(28)-dependent promoter is translationally inert in the expression of the sigma(28)-encoding gene fliA in the fliAZ operon of Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium. J Bacteriol 193:6132–6141. doi: 10.1128/JB.05909-05911 CrossRefPubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wu KH, Wang KC, Lee LW, Huang YN, Yeh KS (2012) A constitutively mannose-sensitive agglutinating Salmonella enterica subsp enterica serovar typhimurium strain, carrying a transposon in the fimbrial usher gene stbC, exhibits multidrug resistance and flagellated phenotypes. ScientificWorldJournal 2012:280264. doi: 10.1100/2012/280264 Epub 282012 Mar 280261PubMedCentralPubMedGoogle Scholar