Chinmedomics facilitated quality-marker discovery of Sijunzi decoction to treat spleen qi deficiency syndrome
- 4 Downloads
Sijunzi decoction (SJZD) is a Chinese classical formula to treat spleen qi deficiency syndrome (SQDS) and has been widely used for thousands of years. However, the quality control (QC) standards of SJZD are insufficient. Chinmedomics has been designed to discover and verify bioactive compounds of a variety of formula rapidly. In this study, we used Chinmedomics to evaluate the SJZD’s efficacy against SQDS to discover the potential quality-markers (q-markers) for QC. A total of 56 compounds in SJZD were characterized in vitro, and 23 compounds were discovered in vivo. A total of 58 biomarkers were related to SQDS, and SJZD can adjust a large proportion of marker metabolites to normal level and then regulate the metabolic profile to the health status. A total of 10 constituents were absorbed as effective ingredients that were associated with overall efficacy. We preliminarily determined malonyl-ginsenoside Rb2 and ginsenoside Ro as the q-markers of ginseng; dehydrotumulosic acid and dihydroxy lanostene-triene-21-acid as the q-markers of poria; glycyrrhizic acid, isoglabrolide, and glycyrrhetnic acid as the q-markers of licorice; and 2-atractylenolide as the q-marker of macrocephala. According to the discovery of the SJZD q-markers, we can establish the quality standard that is related to efficacy.
Keywordstraditional Chinese medicine Sijunzi decoction spleen qi deficiency syndrome Chinmedomics quality-marker
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by grants from the National Key Research and Development Program of China (No. 2018YFC1706103), Key Program of National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 81830110, 8181101160, 81430093, 81673586, 81703685, 81302-905, 81503386, and 81373930), National Key Subject of Drug Innovation (Nos. 2015ZX09101043-005 and 2015ZX09101043-011), TCM State Administration Subject of Public Welfare of (No. 2015468004), Major Projects of Application Technology Research and Development Plan in Heilongjiang Province (No. GX16C003), TCM State Administration Subject of Public Welfare (No. 2015468004), Young Talent Lift Engineering Project of China Association of Traditional Chinese Medicine (No. QNRC2-B06), and Outstanding Talents Foundation of Heilongjiang University of Chinese Medicine (No. 2018jc01).
Compliance with ethics guidelines
Qiqi Zhao, Xin Gao, Guangli Yan, Aihua Zhang, Hui Sun, Ying Han, Wenxiu Li, Liang Liu, and Xijun Wang declared no conflicts of interest. All institutional and national guidelines for the care and use of laboratory animals were followed. Approval for the animal experimental studies was received from the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committees of Heilongjiang University of Chinese Medicine.
- 2.Liu X, Fu J, Fan T, Liu W, Jiang H, Zhang R, Ding H, Yang H, Hu S, Huang Y, Li G, Lan Y, She B, Mao B. The efficacy and safety of Shen Guo Lao Nian Granule for common cold of qi-deficiency syndrome: study protocol for a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled, multicenter, phase II clinical trial. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med 2017; 2017(6): 1806461PubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 3.Shu Q, Sun D, Wang H, Liang F, Gerhard L, Daniela L, Ingrid G, Chen L, He W, Wang Y. Differences of acupuncture and moxibustion on heart rate variability in qi-deficiency syndrome:a randomized controlled trial. Chin Acup Moxib (Zhongguo Zhen Jiu) 2017; 37(1): 25–30 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 4.Xu D, Shen Z, Wang W. Immunoregulation of Youguiyin, Sijunzitang, Taohong Siwutang in treating patients with deficiency of kidney, spleen and blood stasis syndrome. Chin J Integr Trad West Med (Zhongguo Zhong Xi Yi Jie He Za Zhi) 1999; 19(12): 712–714 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 6.Wang G, Mao B, Xiong ZY, Fan T, Chen XD, Wang L, Liu GJ, Liu J, Guo J, Chang J, Wu TX, Li TQ; CONSORT Group for Traditional Chinese Medicine. The quality of reporting of randomized controlled trials of traditional Chinese medicine: a survey of 13 randomly selected journals from mainland China. Clin Ther 2007; 29(7): 1456–1467PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 10.Zhuo L, Peng J, Zhao Y, Li D, Xie X, Tong L, Yu Z. Screening bioactive quality control markers of QiShenYiQi dripping pills based on the relationship between the ultra-high performance liquid chromatography fingerprint and vascular protective activity. J Sep Sci 2017; 40(20): 4076–4084PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 11.Wang X, Zhang A, Sun H, Yan G. Precision diagnosis of Chinese medicine syndrome and evaluation of prescription efficacy based on Chinmedomics. Modernization Tradit Chin Med Materia Medica— World Sci Technol (Shi Jie Ke Xue Ji Shu— Zhong Yi Yao Xian Dai Hua) 2017; 19(1): 30–34 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang A, Sun H, Yan G, Wang P, Han Y, Wang XJ. Chinmedomics: a new strategy for research of traditional Chinese medicine. China J Chin Materia Medica (Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi) 2015; 40(4): 569–576 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 19.Liu F, Liu Y, Tian C. Effect of Rhizoma Atractylodis extract in protecting gastric mucosa and modulating gastrointestinal immune function in a rat model of spleen deficiency. J Southern Med Univ (Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao) 2015; 35(3): 343–347, 354 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 20.Lu S, Han Y, Chu H, Kong L, Zhang A, Yan G, Sun H, Wang P, Wang X. Characterizing serum metabolic alterations of Alzheimer’s disease and intervention of Shengmai-San by ultra-performance liquid chromatography/electrospray ionization quadruple time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Food Funct 2017; 8(4): 1660–1671PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 25.Mansi C, Borro P, Giacomini M, Biagini R, Mele MR, Pandolfo N, Savarino V. Comparative effects of levosulpiride and cisapride on gastric emptying and symptoms in patients with functional dyspepsia and gastroparesis. Aliment Pharmacol Ther 2000; 14(5): 561–569PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 26.Tortora GJ, Anagnostakos NP. Principles of anatomy and physiology. J Anat 2009; 86(10): 555Google Scholar
- 30.Yong RL, Qu Y, Li XX, Wang JB, Xue YN, Zhang LD. Effect of electroacupuncture at “Zusanli”(ST 36) on the expression of Ghrelin/cAMP/PKA in the Jejunum in rats with spleen Qi deficiency syndrome. Acupunct Res (Zhen Ci Yan Jiu) 2016; 41(6): 497–501 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 32.Duan YQ, Cheng YX, Liang YJ, Cheng WD, Du J, Yang XY, Wang Y. Intervention of qi-activating and spleen-strengthening herbs on Ca2+/CaMK II signaling pathways key factors in skeletal muscle tissue of rats with spleen-qi deficiency. J Chin Med Mater (Zhong Yao Cai) 2015; 38(3): 562–566 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 36.Yuan Z, Zhong L, Hua Y, Ji P, Yao W, Ma Q, Zhang X, Wen Y, Yang L, Wei Y. Metabolomics study on promoting blood circulation and ameliorating blood stasis: investigating the mechanism of Angelica sinensis and its processed products. Biomed Chromatogr 2019; 33(4): e4457PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 38.Dong Y, Qiu P, Zhao L, Zhang P, Huang X, Li C, Chai K, Shou D. Metabolomics study of the hepatoprotective effect of Phellinus igniarius in chronic ethanol-induced liver injury mice using UPLC-Q/TOF-MS combined with ingenuity pathway analysis. Phytomedicine2018 Oct 2. 152697Google Scholar
- 40.Xu Y, Chen S, Yu T, Qiao J, Sun G. High-throughput metabolomics investigates anti-osteoporosis activity of oleanolic acid via regulating metabolic networks using ultra-performance liquid chromatography coupled with mass spectrometry. Phytomedicine 2018; 51: 68–76PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 42.Wang X, Zhang S, Zhang A, Yan G, Wu X, Han Y, Sun H. Metabolomics study of type 2 diabetes and therapeutic effects of Tianqijiangtang-capsule using ultra-performance liquid chromatography/electrospray ionization quadruple time-of-flight mass spectrometry. Anal Methods 2013; 5(9): 2218–2226CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 46.Wang XJ. Progress and future developing of the serum pharmacochemistry of traditional Chinese medicine. China J Chin Mater Med (Zhongguo Zhong Yao Za Zhi) 2006; 31(10): 789–792, 835 (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 49.Zhang AH, Sun H, Yan GL, Zhao QQ, Wang XJ. Chinmedomics: a powerful approach integrating metabolomics with serum pharmacochemistry to evaluate the efficacy of traditional Chinese medicine. Engineering (Beijing) 2019; 5(1): 60–68Google Scholar
- 57.Zhang AH, Sun H, Sun WJ, Wang XJ. Metabolomics and Proteomics Annotate Therapeutic Mechanisms of Geniposide[M]//Chinmedomics. Amsterdam: Academic Press, 2015: 157–173Google Scholar
- 59.Wang XJ, Han Y, Zhang AH, Sun H. Metabolic profiling provides a system for the understanding of Alzheimer’s disease in rats post-treatment with Kaixin San[M]//Chinmedomics. Amsterdam: Academic Press, 2015: 347–362Google Scholar
- 67.Wang XJ, Wang QQ, Zhang AH, Zhang FM, Zhang H, Sun H, Cao HX, Zhang HM. Metabolomics study of intervention effects of Wen-Xin-Formula using ultra high-performance liquid chromatography/mass spectrometry coupled with pattern recognition approach. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2013; 74: 22–30PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 68.Dong W, Wang P, Meng XC, Sun H, Zhang AH, Wang WM, Dong H, Wang XJ. Ultra-performance liquid chromatography-high-definition mass spectrometry analysis of constituents in the root of Radix Stemonae and those absorbed in blood after oral administration of the extract of the crude drug. Phytochem Anal 2012; 23(6): 657–667PubMedCrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar