Ethical and Regulatory Challenges with Autologous Adult Stem Cells: A Comparative Review of International Regulations
- 377 Downloads
Cell and tissue-based products, such as autologous adult stem cells, are being prescribed by physicians across the world for diseases and illnesses that they have neither been approved for or been demonstrated as safe and effective in formal clinical trials. These doctors often form part of informal transnational networks that exploit differences and similarities in the regulatory systems across geographical contexts. In this paper, we examine the regulatory infrastructure of five geographically diverse but socio-economically comparable countries with the aim of identifying similarities and differences in how these products are regulated and governed within clinical contexts. We find that while there are many subtle technical differences in how these regulations are implemented, they are sufficiently similar that it is difficult to explain why these practices appear more prevalent in some countries and not in others. We conclude with suggestions for how international governance frameworks might be improved to discourage the exploitation of vulnerable patient populations while enabling innovation in the clinical application of cellular therapies.
KeywordsBioethics Stem cell therapies Medical law Science regulation
- Berfield, S. 2013. Stem cell showdown: Celltex vs. the FDA. Businessweek, January 4. http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-01-03/stem-cell-showdown-celltex-vs-dot-the-fda.
- Callaway, E. 2011. American scientist arrested in stem-cell clinic sting. Nature News Blog, December 29. http://blogs.nature.com/news/2011/12/american-scientist-arrested-in-stem-cell-clinic-sting.html. Accessed June 18, 2013.
- Center for Biologics Evaluation and Research. 2011. Guidance for industry: Current good tissue practice (CGTP) and additional requirements for manufacturers of human cells, tissues, and cellular and tissue-based products (HCT/Ps). http://www.fda.gov/downloads/biologicsbloodvaccines/guidancecomplianceregulatoryinformation/guidances/tissue/ucm285223.pdf. Accessed October 7, 2015.
- Committee for Advanced Therapies. 2007. Overview EC No 1394/2007. http://www.ema.europa.eu/ema/index.jsp?curl=pages/about_us/general/general_content_000126.jsp&mid=WC0b01ac05800292a5. Accessed October 7, 2015.
- Cyranoski, D. 2012. Patients seek stem-cell compensation. Nature News Blog, July 6. http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/07/patients-seek-stem-cell-compensation.html. Accessed June 18, 2013.
- Department of Health. 2010. Trading medicines for human use: Shortages and supply chain obligations. http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20130107105354/http://www.dh.gov.uk/prod_consum_dh/groups/dh_digitalassets/@dh/@en/@ps/documents/digitalasset/dh_123637.pdf. Accessed October 7, 2015.
- Deputy Coroners Court New South Wales. 2016. Inquest into the death of Sheila Drysdale. http://www.coroners.justice.nsw.gov.au/Documents/Findings%20Drysdale.pdf. Accessed August 10, 2016.
- Food and Drug Administration. 1978. Compliance policy guides section 100.200 FDA jurisdiction over products composed of interstate ingredients. http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceManuals/CompliancePolicyGuidanceManual/ucm073820.htm. Accessed July 21, 2016.
- ———. 2014. Human cells, tissues, and cellular and tissue-based products (HCT/Ps) from adipose tissue: Regulatory considerations; Draft guidance. http://www.fda.gov/BiologicsBloodVaccines/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/Tissue/ucm427795.htm#HCT_QUESTION. Accessed July 26, 2016.
- General Medical Council. 2010. Fitness to practice panel: Dr Robert Theodore Henri Kees Trossel. http://www.casewatch.org/foreign/trossel/sanction.pdf. Accessed July 21, 2016.
- Health Sciences Authority. 2016. Guidance on medicinal product registration in Singapore. TPB-GN-005-000. http://www.hsa.gov.sg/content/hsa/en/Health_Products_Regulation/Western_Medicines/Overview/Guidelines_on_Drug_Registration.html. Accessed February 2, 2017.
- High Court of Singapore. 2012. Low Chai Ling v Singapore Medical Council: Originating summons no 18 of 2012. http://www.singaporelaw.sg/sglaw/laws-of-singapore/case-law/free-law/high-court-judgments/15012-low-chai-ling-v-singapore-medical-council-2012-sghc-191. Accessed July 21, 2016.
- IMD. 2013. World competitiveness online. https://worldcompetitiveness.imd.org/. Accessed October 7, 2015.
- Kiatpongsan, S., and D. Sipp. 2008. Offshore stem cell treatments. Nature Reports Stem Cells. Published online: December 3. doi: 10.1038/stemcells.2008.151.
- Koustas, W.T., and J.R. Fleder. 2011. FDA continues efforts to expand power over intrastate commerce. FDA Law Blog, October 26. http://www.fdalawblog.net/fda_law_blog_hyman_phelps/2011/10/fda-continues-efforts-to-expand-power-over-intrastate-commerce.html. Accessed August 1, 2013.
- Lysaght, T., and D. Sipp. 2015. Dislodging the direct to consumer marketing of stem cell-based interventions from medical tourism. In Bodies across borders: The global circulation of body parts, medical tourists and professionals, edited by B. Parry, B. Greenhough, T. Brown, and I. Dyck, 211–230. Farnham: Ashgate Press.Google Scholar
- Ministry of Health. 2003. Guidelines for healthcare institutions providing tissue banking: Regulation 4 of the private hospitals and medical clinics regulations (CAP 248, RG1) https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/dam/moh_web/Publications/Guidelines/Private%20healthcare%20institutions/2004/institutions_providing_tissue_banking_guidelines.pdf. Accessed July 22, 2016.
- Ong, L.L. 2013. Regulation of human cell- and tissue-based therapeutic products in Singapore. Paper presented at the 19th International Society for Cellular Therapy Annual Meeting, April 22–25, in Auckland, NZ.Google Scholar
- Singapore Medical Council. 2009. Disciplinary inquiry for Dr Martin Huang Hsiang Shui. http://www.docstoc.com/docs/50641485/SINGAPORE-MEDICAL-COUNCIL-DISCIPLINARY-INQUIRY-AGAINST-DR-MARTIN-HUANG. Accessed August 1, 2013.
- ———. 2010. Disciplinary inquiry for Dr Wong Yoke Meng http://www.healthprofessionals.gov.sg/content/dam/hprof/smc/docs/press_releases/15.Press%20Release_Dr%20Wong%20Yoke%20Meng4_9Nov10.pdf. Accessed August 1, 2013.
- Texas Medical Board. 2012. Practice guidelines for the use of investigational agents. https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/readtac$ext.ViewTAC?tac_view=4&ti=22&pt=9&ch=198&rl=Y. Accessed October 7, 2015.
- Therapetuic Goods Administration. 2011. Therapeutic goods (excluded goods) order no. 1 of 2011. https://www.tga.gov.au/therapeutic-goods-excluded-goods-order-no-1-2011. Accessed July 21, 2016.
- United States Court of Appeals. 2014. United States of America v. Regenerative Sciences, District of Columbia Circuit no. 12–5254. http://caselaw.findlaw.com/us-dc-circuit/1656447.html. Accessed July 21, 2016.
- World Bank. 2008. Research and development expenditure (% of GDP). http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/GB.XPD.RSDV.GD.ZS. Accessed October 7, 2015.
- ———. 2012. List of economies. http://data.worldbank.org/about/country-classifications/country-and-lending-groups#High_income. Accessed October 7, 2015.