Unveiling the Past—Preparing the Conditions for Human Beings to Live in the Midst of One Another Again? A Response From Living in Northern Ireland
Comment on “Truth in Reconciliation” by Alphonso Lingis
- 94 Downloads
KeywordsReconciliation Restorative justice Truth Acknowledgement Remembrance
- Arendt, H. 1969. On violence. New York: Harcourt Brace.Google Scholar
- Atran, S. 2010. Talking to the enemy: Violent extremism, sacred values, and what it means to be human. New York: HarperCollins.Google Scholar
- Consultative Group on the Past. 2009. Report of the Consultative Group on the Past. Presented to the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland. http://www.irishtimes.com/focus/2009/troubles/index.pdf.
- Eyben, K., D. Morrow, and D.A. Wilson. 1997. A worthwhile venture? Practically investing in equity, diversity and interdependence in Northern Ireland? Coleraine: University of Ulster.Google Scholar
- Girard, R. 1987. Things hidden since the foundation of the world. Trans. S. Bann and M. Metteer. Stanford, CA: Stanford University Press. Originally published as Des choses caches depuis la fondation du monde (Paris: Éditions Grasset and Fasquelle, 1978).Google Scholar
- Girard, R. 2010. Battling to the end: Conversations with Benoît Chantre. Trans. M. Baker. East Lansing: Michigan State University Press.Google Scholar
- Lederach, J.P. 2005. The moral imagination: The art and soul of building peace. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Lingis, A. 2011. Truth in reconciliation. Journal of Bioethical Inquiry 8(3). doi: 10.1007/s11673-011-9306-2.
- Morrow, D., and D.A. Wilson. 2011. Girard, violence and the troubles in Northern Ireland. Paper presented at the Surviving Our Origins: Violence and the Sacred in Evolutionary-Historical Time symposium, May 27–28, at St. John’s College, University of Cambridge.Google Scholar
- Northern Ireland Commission for Victims and Survivors. 2010. Dealing with the past: Advice to government. http://www.cvsni.org/images/stories/dealing_past/dealing_with_the_past_final_28.06.10.pdf.
- Rothfield, P. 2008. Lead essay: Evaluating reconciliation. In Pathways to reconciliation: Between theory and practice, ed. F. Rothfield, C. Fleming, and P.A. Komesaroff, 15–28. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate.Google Scholar
- Shriver Jr., D.W. 2005. Honest patriots: Loving a country enough to remember its misdeeds. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Shriver, D.W., Jr. 2007. Truths for reconciliation: An American perspective. Belfast: Northern Ireland Community Relations Council. http://www.community-relations.org.uk/fs/doc/Shriverspeech.doc. Accessed 31 Aug 2011.
- Wilson, D.A. 1994. Learning together for a change. D. Phil. Thesis, School of Education, University of Ulster.Google Scholar
- Wright, F. 1987. Northern Ireland: A comparative analysis. Dublin: Gill and Macmillan.Google Scholar
© Springer Science+Business Media B.V. 2011