Experimental Liquidus Studies of the Pb-Fe-Ca-O System in Air
- 6 Downloads
Phase equilibria of the Pb-Fe-Ca-O system have been investigated at 1043-1653 K (770-1380 °C) for oxide liquid in equilibrium with air and solid oxide phases: (a) hematite Fe2O3; (b) spinel (Fe,Ca)Fe2O4; (c) calcium ferrites CaFe4O7, CaFe2O4, Ca2Fe2O5; (d) lead ferrites (magnetoplumbite (Pb,Ca)O·12FeO1.5, plumboferrite (Pb,Ca)O·(5 + x)FeO1.5, 1:1 lead ferrite (Pb,Ca)O·(1 ± x)FeO1.5); (e) lead oxide PbO (massicot); (f) calcium plumbate Ca2PbO4; and (g) lime CaO. High-temperature equilibration on inert metal (platinum, gold) substrates, followed by quenching and direct measurement of Pb, Fe and Ca concentrations in the phases with the electron probe x-ray microanalysis (EPMA) has been used to accurately characterize the system in equilibrium with air. All results are projected onto the PbO-“FeO1.5”-CaO plane for presentation purposes. The present study is the first systematic characterization of liquidus over a wide range of compositions in this system in equilibrium with air.
Keywordsiron lead lime phase diagrams slags
The authors would like to thank Nyrstar (Australia), Outotec Pty Ltd (Australia), Aurubis AG (Germany), Umicore NV (Belgium), and Kazzinc Ltd, Glencore (Kazakhstan), and Australian Research Council Linkage Project LP150100783 for their financial support for this research. The authors are grateful to Prof. Peter C. Hayes (UQ) for valuable comments and suggestions, to Ms. Suping Huang for assistance with conducting experiments, and to the staff of the University of Queensland Centre for Microanalysis and Microscopy (CMM) for their support in maintenance and operation of scanning and electron microprobe facilities in the Centre.
- 1.E. Jak, Phase Equilibria to Characterise Lead/Zinc Smelting Slags and Sinters (PbO-ZnO-CaO-SiO 2 -Fe 2 O 3 -FeO), Ph.D Thesis (University of Queensland, 1995)Google Scholar
- 5.E. Jak, B. Zhao, P.C. Hayes, S.A. Decterov, and A.D. Pelton, Coupled Experimental and Thermodynamic Modelling Studies of the System PbO-ZnO-FeO-Fe2O3-CaO-SiO2-Al2O3 for Lead and Zinc Smelting, Zinc and Lead Processing, in ed. by J.E. Dutrizac, J.A. Gonzalez, G.L. Bolton, P. Hancock 1998 of Conference, Met. Soc. CIMM, pp. 313–333Google Scholar
- 10.E. Jak, B. Zhao, I. Harvey, and P.C. Hayes, Experimental Study of Phase Equilibria in the PbO-ZnO-”Fe2O3”-(CaO + SiO2) System in Air for the Lead and Zinc Blast Furnace Sinters (CaO/SiO2 Weight Ratio of 0.933 and PbO/(CaO + SiO2) Ratios of 2.0 and 3.2), Metall. Mater. Trans. B, 2003, 34B(4), p 383-397CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.E. Jak, P.C. Hayes, and H.-G. Lee, Improved Methodologies for the Determination of High Temperature Phase Equilibria, Met. Mater., 1995, 1(1), p 1-8Google Scholar
- 13.E. Jak, S.A. Decterov, P.C. Hayes, and A.D. Pelton, Thermodynamic Modelling of the System PbO-ZnO-FeO-Fe2O3-CaO-SiO2 for Zinc/Lead Smelting, in Proceedings of the 5th International Conference on Molten Slags, Fluxes and Salts Iron and Steel Society (AIME, Sydney, Australia, 1997), pp. 621–628Google Scholar
- 15.S.A. Decterov, I.-H. Jung, E. Jak, Y.-B. Kang, P. Hayes, and A.D. Pelton, Thermodynamic Modeling of the Al2O3-CaO-CoO-CrO-Cr2O3-FeO-Fe2O3-MgO-MnO-NiO-SiO2-S System and Applications in Ferrous Process Metallurgy, in ed. by C. Pistorius SAIMM Symposium Series S36 (VII International Conference on Molten Slags, Fluxes & Salts) (The South African Institute of Mining and Metallurgy, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa, 2004), pp. 839–850Google Scholar
- 16.FactSage, Ecole Polytechnique, Montréal, http://www.factsage.com/, 2008
- 17.E. Jak, Integrated Experimental and Thermodynamic Modelling Research Methodology for Metallurgical Slags with Examples in the Copper Production Field 9th International Conference on Molten Slags, Fluxes and Salts (MOLTEN12), 2012 of Conference (Beijing, China), The Chinese Society for Metals, W077Google Scholar
- 20.M. Shevchenko and E. Jak, Experimental Liquidus Study of the Binary PbO-CaO and Ternary PbO-CaO-SiO 2 Systems, Personal communication, PYROSEARCH (The University of Queensland, 2018)Google Scholar
- 22.M. Shevchenko, T. Hidayat, P. Hayes, and E. Jak, Liquidus of “FeO”-SiO2-PbO Slags in Equilibrium with Air and with Metallic Lead, Molten 2016, in 10th International Conference on Molten Slags, Fluxes and Salts, 2016 of Conference (Seattle, Washington, USA), pp. 1221–1228Google Scholar