Isothermal Section of the B-Cr-Fe System at 873 K
- 20 Downloads
An experimental study of the phase equilibria of the B-Cr-Fe ternary system at 873 K by means of x-ray diffraction and scanning electron microscopy has been carried out. Iron and chromium solid solutions, six chromium borides Cr2B, Cr5B3, CrB, Cr3B4, CrB2 and CrB4, two iron borides Fe2B and FeB, intermetallic σ phase, and β-rhombohedral B were identified in the B-Cr-Fe model alloys after long-term annealing (2160-2300 h). Solubilities of chromium in iron borides and iron in chromium borides were determined. No ternary phase was found in the system. Based on the experimental results, an isothermal section of the B-Cr-Fe system at 873 K was established.
Keywordsboride isothermal section phase diagram ternary system
The authors are grateful to the Slovak Grant Agency VEGA (Project No. 2/0073/18) and the Slovak Research and Development Agency (Project No. APVV-15-0049) for financial support.
- 1.G. Zeiler, S. Paul, and E. Plesiutschnig, 9-10% Cr steel forgings for USC turbines—experiences in manufacturing and development status of MARBN steels, in Advances in Materials Technology for Fossil Power Plants—Proceedings from the 8th International Conference 2016, Portugal; 11-14 October 2016, Algarve, 2016, pp. 778-789Google Scholar
- 2.L. Falat, L. Čiripová, V. Homolová, and A. Kroupa, The Influence of Isothermal Ageing and Subsequent Hydrogen Charging at Room Temperature on Local Mechanical Properties and Fracture Characteristics of Martensitic/Bainitic Weldments for Power Engineering, J. Min. Metall. B, 2017, 753(3), p 373-382CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.M.B. Chepiga and J.B. Kuzma, Fazovyje ravnovesia v sisteme Cr-Fe-B, Izvestija vyssich ucebnych zavedenij, Chernaja, Metalurgija, 1970, 3, p 127-130 (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 8.E. Gorbunov and F.M. Bodurjan, Phase Equilibria in Ternary Cr-B-Fe System, Metal. Tverd. Splav., 1976, 16, p 172-178 (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 11.C. Gianoglio, G. Pradelli, and M. Vallino, Solid State Equilibria in the Cr-Fe-B System at the Temperature of 1373 K, Metal. Sci. Technol., 1983, 1(2), p 51-57Google Scholar
- 12.V. Homolová and L. Čiripová, Experimental Investigation of Isothermal Section of the Fe-B-Cr Phase Diagram at 1353 K, Adv. Mater. Sci Eng., 2017, Article ID 2703986. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/2703986
- 13.P. Rogl, Cr-B-C (Chromium-Boron-Carbon), Phase Diagrams of ternary Metal-Boron-Carbon Systems, G. Effenberg, Ed., ASM International, Geauga County, 1998, p 36-52 Google Scholar
- 15.P. Villars, Pearson’s Handbook, The Materials Information Society, Materials Park OH, 1997Google Scholar