Hybrid Probabilistic Risk Assessment Using Fuzzy FTA and Fuzzy AHP in a Process Industry
- 218 Downloads
There are many available techniques which are widely used for failure probability analysis. Fault tree analysis (FTA) is a well-known method to identify the basic events (BEs) to reach top event. However, the FTA method in real circumstances is limited because of the many unknown and the vagueness of the situations. Thus, fuzzy set theory with respect to subjective expert opinion is employed to cope with the uncertain knowledge of BEs including randomness, ignorance, and shortages of data. In addition, to gain this purpose, much subjectivity may appear; as an example, the main one is the expert weighting. This study highlights the utility of fuzzy set theory and analytic hierarchy process to failure probability analysis in a case study. A chemical process plant has been selected to illustrate the application of proposed model with a comparison of the results with conventional model.
KeywordsFuzzy AHP Failure analysis Fuzzy set theory Fault tree
The author sincerely thank the editor and the anonymous reviewers for their insights and helpful comments and suggestions which are very helpful in improving the quality of the paper.
- 10.A. Kaufmann, M.M. Gupta, Introduction to Fuzzy Arithmetic: theory and Applications (Van Nostrand Reinhold Co., New York, 1985)Google Scholar
- 14.M.R. Miri Lavasani, J. Wang, Z. Yang, J. Finlay, Application of fuzzy fault tree analysis on oil and gas offshore pipelines. Int. J. Mar. Sci. Eng 1, 29–42 (2011)Google Scholar
- 21.T. Onisawa, K.B. Misra, Use of fuzzy sets theory: (part-ii: applications) Chap. 14, in Fundamental Studies in Engineering, (1993), pp. 551–586. doi: 10.1016/B978-0-444-81660-3.50024-1
- 24.T. Runkler, M. Glesner, A set of axioms for defuzzification strategies towards a theory of rational defuzzification operators. Proc. Second IEEE Int. Conf. Fuzzy Set Syst. pp. 1161–1166 (1993)Google Scholar
- 25.M. Sugeno, H.T. Nguyen, N.R. Prasad, Fuzzy Modeling and Control: Selected Works of M. Sugeno (CRC Press, Baco Raton, 1999)Google Scholar