Characterization of Failure Behavior in Distorted WC-Co Tip of Coal Mining Picks
- 113 Downloads
The present paper deals with the characterization of failure behavior in the cemented carbide (WC 94–Co 6%) tips of two cutters, i.e., conical cutter and radial cutter, which were used for coal cutting operation in an underground mine. High-resolution microscopes (FESEM and EDS) were used to assess wear mechanisms. The cemented carbide has been studied for its wear behavior for a long time. The ongoing research is necessary because wear mechanisms cannot be classified in single way. The variations in application of the tools may change the tribological characteristics in the cemented carbide. In this study, mainly four wear mechanisms, such as Cracks, Abrasion, Corrosion, and Intermixing of external elements, have been reported.
KeywordsCemented carbide Conical pick Radial pick Coal mining Failure behavior Characterization
- 1.R.K. Rajput, A Textbook of Manufacturing Technology: Manufacturing Process (Firewall Media, New Delhi, 2007)Google Scholar
- 3.N. Bilgin, H. Copur, C. Balci, Mechanical Excavation in Mining and Civil Industries (CRC Press, Leiden, 2013), pp. 103–123Google Scholar
- 5.G. Aylward, T. Friendly, in SI Chemical Data, ed. by P. Storer, (Wiley, Sydney, 1994).Google Scholar
- 6.Cemented Carbide (Edited 2005) Sandvik new developments and applications, www.hardmaterials.sandvik.com. Ref. no. H-9116 ENG.
- 9.K.J.A. Brookes, Hardmetals and Other Hard Materials (International Carbide Data, Hertfordshire, 1992)Google Scholar
- 10.G.B. Clark, Principles of rock drilling and bit wear, vol. 77 (Colorado School of Mines, Quarterly, Golden, 1982), p. 91Google Scholar
- 13.B.G. Fish, G.A. Guppy, J.T. Ruben, Abrasive wear effects in rotary rock drilling. Trans. Inst. Min. Met. 68, 357–383 (1959)Google Scholar
- 17.J. Larsen-Basse, Effect of composition, microstructure, and service conditions on the wear of cemented carbides. J. Met. 35, 35–42 (1983)Google Scholar
- 27.14 CM Series continuous miner product overview. www.joyglobal.com. Accessed 15 July 2014
- 28.Aker Solutions 2013: Wirth roadheaders for mining and tunnelling. www.akersolutions.com. Accessed 27 Jan 2016
- 29.G. Singh, A Survey of Corrosivity of Underground Mine Waters from Indian Coal Mines. Int J. Mine Water, 2006, International Mine Water Association: www.imwa.info. Accessed 15 Dec 2014
- 30.A.L. Echtenkamp, Combating corrosion/wear with the hard carbide alloys, in Proceedings of ASLE/ASME Lubrication Conference (Minneapolis, 1978).Google Scholar