Nondestructive Evaluation of a Haulage Rope in a Monocable Continuously Moving Passenger Ropeway
The theoretical basis of detecting wire rope anomalies using permanent magnetic field has been fully established. The local faults (LF) such as broken wires and loss of metal area (LMA) signals are provided by nondestructive evaluation instruments. These signals represent the electronic equivalent of the mechanical anomalies present in the wire rope. The saturating magnetic field of the instrument makes the anomalies visible to the magnetic sensors placed around the rope. The condition of a haulage rope (construction 6X19) in a monocable continuously moving passenger ropeway has been studied using this nondestructive method, and the results are presented in this paper.
KeywordsHaulage Nondestructive evaluation Flaws
The authors are grateful to Director, CIMFR for his kind permission to publish the paper. The views expressed in the paper are that of the authors and not of the organization they serve.
- 1.Basak, D.: Comparison of condition of a haulage rope with nondestructive evaluation standards: a case study. J. Nondestruct. Test. Eval. 4(2), 43–46 (2005)Google Scholar
- 3.Zawada, N.D.T.: Homepage http://www.z-ndt.com
- 4.Zawada, K.: Magnetic NDT of steel wire ropes. NDT.net 4(8), (1999)Google Scholar
- 5.Basak, D.: Periodic nondestructive evaluation of steel wire ropes: its importance and practical relevance. NDT.net. e-Journal of Nondestructive Testing 11(6), (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Basak, D.: Electromagnetic (EM) nondestructive evaluation of steel wire ropes: a preview. Wire J. Int., March, pp. 204–206 (2007)Google Scholar
- 7.Basak, D., Pal, S., Patranabis, D.C.: Comparative nondestructive evaluation of cage ropes in two similar winders in a coal mine: a case study. Non-destruct. Test. Australia 44(5), 146–147 (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.CIMFR (formerly CMRI) Project Reports (2004–2006) on Non-Destructive Investigation on Steel Wire Ropes, Central Institute of Mining and Fuel ResearchGoogle Scholar
- 9.Magnetic Wire Rope Inspection - WT, Halkin International, http://halkin.com/Wirerope.htm