The Corrosion Behavior of Cold Sprayed Zinc Coatings on Mild Steel Substrate
- 791 Downloads
Zinc and its alloy coatings have been used extensively for the cathodic protection of steel. Zinc coating corrodes in preference to the steel substrate due to its negative corrosion potential. Numerous studies have been conducted on the corrosion behavior of zinc and its alloy coatings deposited using several techniques viz., hot dip galvanizing, electrodeposition, metalizing or thermal spray etc. Cold spray is an emerging low temperature variant of thermal spray family which enables deposition of thick, dense, and pure coatings at a rapid rate with an added advantage of on-site coating of steel structures. In the present study, the corrosion characteristics of cold sprayed zinc coatings have been investigated for the first time. In addition, the influence of heat treatment of zinc coating at a temperature of 150 °C on its corrosion behavior has also been addressed.
Keywordscold spray corrosion porosity potentiodynamic polarization zinc
One of the authors would like to thank Mr. Nitin P. Wasekar for helpful discussions, Mr. G.V. Reddy and Mr. K. Ramesh Reddy for X-ray diffraction and SEM analyses.
- 2.F.M. Androsch, K. Kösters, and K.H. Stellnberger, Accelerated Corrosion Tests for Corrosion Protection Systems on Steel Sheet for the Automotive Industry, Stahl Eisen, 2000, 121, p 37Google Scholar
- 3.S.R. Lampman, T.B. Zorc, Ed., Properties and Selection of Non-Ferrous Alloys and Special Materials, 10th ed., ASM Handbook, Vol 2, 1998, p 1618Google Scholar
- 4.American Welding Society, “Corrosion Tests of Flame Sprayed Coated Steel 19 Year Report”, C2 14-79, 1974Google Scholar
- 11.Wiki Factbox, The Vital Statistics of Zinc, London CRU Group, Retrieved 3 March 2010Google Scholar
- 18.D. Chaliampalias, G. Vourlias, N. Pistofidis, G. Stergioudis, and E.K. Polychroniadis, A Morphological and Microstructural Study of Flame-Sprayed Zinc Coatings on Low-Alloyed Steels as a Contribution to Explaining Their Corrosion Resistance, Phys. Status Solidi. (a), 2008, 205, p 1566CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.C.J. Li, W.-Y. Li, and H. Fukanuma, Impact Fusion Phenomenon During Cold Spraying of Zinc, Proceedings of the International Thermal Spray Conference, 2004, p 335Google Scholar
- 43.A. Jyothirmayi, “Corrosion Behaviour of Zinc Coatings”, Unpublished work, ARCI, Hyderabad, India, 2011Google Scholar