Investigation of Al-Al2O3 Cold Spray Coating Formation and Properties
Coating build-up mechanisms and properties of cold-sprayed aluminum-alumina cermets were investigated using two spherical aluminum powders having average diameters of 36 and 81 μm. Those powders were blended with alumina at several concentrations. Coatings were produced using a commercial low-pressure cold spray system. Powders and coatings were characterized by electronic microscopy and microhardness measurements. In-flight particle velocities were monitored for all powders. The deposition efficiency was measured for all experimental conditions. Coating performance and properties were investigated by performing bond strength test, abrasion test, and corrosion tests, namely, salt spray and alternated immersion in saltwater tests. These coating properties were correlated to the alumina fraction either in the starting powder or in the coating.
Keywordsabrasion resistance corrosion protection gas dynamic spray low-pressure cold spray metal-ceramic mixture
The authors acknowledge the technical assistance of J.-F. Alarie, F. Belval, B. Harvey, M. Lamontagne and M. Thibodeau.
- 1.S.H. Thurston, Method of Impacting One Metal Upon Another, U.S. Patent 705,701, August 12, 1902Google Scholar
- 2.C.F. Rocheville, Device for Treating the Surface of a Workpiece, U.S. Patent 3,100,724, August 13, 1963Google Scholar
- 3.A.P. Alkhimov, V.F. Kosarev, and A.N. Papyrin, A Method of ‘Cold’ Gas-Dynamic Deposition, Sov. Phys. Doklady, (1990), 35(12), p 1047-1049Google Scholar
- 5.A.I. Kashirin, O.F. Klyuev, and T.V. Buzdygar, Apparatus for Gas-Dynamic Coating, U.S. Patent 6,402,050, June 11, 2002Google Scholar
- 6.A.P. Alkhimov, A.N. Papyrin, V.F. Kosarev, N.I. Nesterovich, and M.M. Shushpanov, Gas-Dynamic Spraying Method for Applying a Coating, U.S. Patent 5,302,414, April 12, 1994Google Scholar
- 8.R.G. Maev and V. Leshchinsky, Low Pressure Gas Dynamic Spray: Shear Localization During Particle Shock Consolidation, Building on 100 Years of Success: Proceedings of the 2006 International Thermal Spray Conference, B.R. Marple, M.M. Hyland, Y.C. Lau, R.S. Lima, and J. Voyer, Eds., May 15-18, 2006 (Seattle, WA, USA), ASM International, 2006Google Scholar
- 9.E. Irissou and B. Arsenault, Corrosion Study of Cold Sprayed Aluminum Coatings onto Al 7075 Alloy Substrates, Global Coating Solutions: Proceedings of the 2007 International Thermal Spray Conference, B.R. Marple, M.H. Hyland, Y.-C. Lau, C.-J. Li, R.S. Lima, and G. Montavon, Eds., May 14-16, 2007, (Beijing, China), ASM International, 2007, p 549-554 Google Scholar