Atomic Layer-Deposited Al2O3 Interlayer for Improved Tribological and Anti-corrosion Properties of TiN Hard Coating on 316L Stainless Steel
- 36 Downloads
A dense Al2O3 interlayer was inserted into TiN to enhance the tribological and anti-corrosion properties of TiN hard coating via a hybrid process of magnetron sputtering and atomic layer deposition (ALD). The influence of the ALD-Al2O3 layer on the microstructure, mechanical, tribological and anti-corrosion properties of TiN was examined. The TiN-Al2O3 coating exhibits low friction coefficient and specific wear rate, due to the structure change and columnar refinement caused by the addition of amorphous ALD-Al2O3 interlay which improves the mechanical properties of hard coating. The improved corrosion properties of TiN are attributed to the fact that the insulating ALD-Al2O3 used as a sealing layer can prevent the corrosive chlorine ions migrating into the lower TiN layer and block the charge transport in coatings. Moreover, raising the insertion position of ALD-Al2O3 layer away from the steel substrate results in a further increase in the anti-corrosion property of TiN-Al2O3 composite coating.
Keywordsatomic layer deposition Al2O3 interlayer corrosion TiN hard coating tribological property
This work is financially supported by “the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities”, No. NS2017030. We would like to acknowledge it for the financial support.
- 1.Y.A. Albrimi, A. Eddib, J. Douch, Y. Berghoute, M. Hamdani, and R.M. Souto, Electrochemical Behaviour of AISI, 316 Austenitic Stainless Steel in Acidic Media Containing Chloride Ions, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 2011, 6, p 4614–4627Google Scholar
- 14.D.V. Shtansky, F.V. Kiryukhantsev-Korneev, A.N. Sheveiko, I.A. Bashkova, O.V. Malochkin, E.A. Levashov, N.B. Dýakonova, and I.V. Lyasotsky, Structure and Properties of Ti-B-N, Ti-Cr-B-(N), and Cr-B-(N) Coatings Deposited by Magnetron Sputtering of Targets Prepared by Self-Propagating High-Temperature Synthesis, Phys. Solid State, 2005, 47, p 252–262CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 28.M. Burke, A. Blake, V. Djara, D. O’Connell, I.M. Povey, K. Cherkaoui, S. Scully, R. Murphy, P.K. Hurley, M.E. Pemble, and A.J. Quinn, High Aspect Ratio Iridescent Three-Dimensional Metal–Insulator–Metal Capacitors Using Atomic Layer Deposition, J. Vac. Sci. Technol., A, 2015, 33, p 01A103CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.A. Lefevre, D. Ferreira, M. Veillerot, J.P. Barnes, G. Parat, M. Czernohorsky, and F. Lallemand, Reliability Improvements of TiN/Al2O3/TiN for Linear High Voltage Metal–Insulator–Metal Capacitors Using an Optimized Thermal Treatment, J. Vac. Sci. Technol., A, 2017, 35, p 01A111CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 36.Y.Q. Cao, X.R. Zhao, J. Chen, W. Zhang, M. Li, L. Zhu, X.J. Zhang, D. Wu, and A.D. Li, TiOxNy Modified TiO2 Powders Prepared by Plasma Enhanced Atomic Layer Deposition for Highly Visible Light photocatalysis, Sci Rep, 2018, 8, p 72131Google Scholar