Electrochemical Behavior of Cu60Zr25Ti15 Bulk Metallic Glass with the Addition of Nb and Mo
- 87 Downloads
This paper reports the changes in the electrochemical behavior of Cu60Zr25Ti15 bulk metallic glass (BMG) with the addition of 1 at.% Mo and Nb in 3.5 wt.% NaCl aqueous solution. Electrochemical methods employed for the study are open-circuit potential (OCP) and potentiodynamic polarization. The OCP values of the parent BMG and minor-alloyed BMGs differ only marginally. However, potentiodynamic studies show slightly higher corrosion resistance for the minor-alloyed BMGs than that of the parent alloy. Polarized surfaces of all the samples, examined under a scanning electron microscope (SEM), reveal pits formed due to corrosion. Corrosion products are analyzed by energy-dispersive spectroscopy (EDS) and X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy (XPS). Higher corrosion resistance observed for Nb- or Mo-added BMGs is attributed to the formation of NbO2/Nb2O5 and MoO2, respectively, besides the oxides of other constituent elements.
Keywordsbinding energy bulk metallic glass (BMG) pitting corrosion polarization
CSIR-NML for funding the inner house project (OLP-203) is greatly acknowledged. The help received from Ms. Moumita and Ms. Siuli (CSIR-NML) in capturing TEM and SEM micrographs is acknowledged. Dr. Soumen Mandal acknowledges the research fellowship received from MHRD, India.
- 13.A.J. Kailath, and S. Mandal, An improved suction casting assembly for the preparation of bulk metallic glass, Indian Patent Office Journal, 2016, 2851DEL2014.Google Scholar
- 17.W.K. An, A.H. Cai, X. Xiong, Y. Liu, Y. Luo, T.L. Li, and X.S. Li, Corrosion Behavior of Cu60Zr30Ti10 Metallic Glass in the Cl–Containing Solution, Mater. Sci. Appl., 2011, 2(06), p 546–554Google Scholar
- 19.X.P. Nie, X.M. Xu, Q.K. Jiang, L.Y. Chen, Y. Xu, Y.Z. Fang, G.Q. Xie, M.F. Luo, F.M. Wu, X.D. Wang, Q.P. Cao, and J.Z. Jiang, Effect of Microalloying of Nb on Corrosion Resistance and Thermal Stability of ZrCu-Based Bulk Metallic Glasses, J. Non Cryst. Solids, 2009, 355, p 203–207CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.A.V. Naumkin, A.K. Vass, S.W. Gaarenstroom, and C.J. Powell, NIST X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy Database (2012), NIST Standard Reference Database 20, Version 4.1. http://dx.doi.org/10.18434/T4T88K
- 22.P.Y. Lee, Y.M. Cheng, J.Y. Chen, and C.J. Hu, Formation and Corrosion Behaviour of Mechanically Alloyed Cu-Zr-Ti BULK METALLIC Glasses, Metals, 2017, 7(148), p 1–12Google Scholar