Manufacturing of a Metal Matrix Composite Coating on a Polymer Matrix Composite Through Cold Gas Dynamic Spray Technique
In this work, the manufacturing through cold gas dynamic spray (cold spray or CS) of metallic composite coatings of Al-Al2O3 on organic composite substrates with thermoplastic PLA matrix and hemp fibers was studied. Alumina powders, with a mean diameter of 50 μm, were used blended with aluminum powders in three different weight concentration percentages (0, 15, 20, and 45%) as feedstock material in order to highlight and discuss the variations of the coating surface properties depending on the alumina percentage. The coatings were produced by using a low-pressure cold spray equipment. A detailed experimental campaign, including microstructural observations and confocal microscopy, was carried out to study the structure of the coatings. Moreover, the tribological behavior of the coatings was studied through both scratch test and pin-on-disk test. The experiments showed that a small addition of alumina improves the compactness of the coating and its resistance to scratch and wear behavior.
Keywordsalumina aluminum powder ceramics cold spray hemp metal matrix composite natural fiber composite
- 11.V.K. Champagne, The Cold Spray Materials Deposition Process. Fundamental an Aplications, 2007.Google Scholar
- 20.D. Giraud, F. Borit, V. Guipont, M. Jeandin, J.M. Malhaire, Metallization of a Polymer Using Cold Spray: Application to Aluminum Coating of Polyamide 66, in Int. Therm. Spray Conf. Expo. - Air, Land, Water Hum. Body Therm. Spray Sci. Appl. ITSC 2012. (2012) pp. 265–270.Google Scholar
- 23.L. Boccarusso, M. Durante, A. Formisano, A. Langella, F.M.C. Minutolo, Lightweight Bio-composites Based on Hemp Fibres Produced by Conventional and Unconventional Processes, in AIP Conference Proceedings, 2017, p. 050015. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5008060.
- 25.L.T. Drzal, A.K. Mohanty, and M. Misra, Bio-Composite Materials As Alternatives To Petroleum-Based Composites for Automotive Applications, Magnesium, 2001, 40, p 1–3Google Scholar
- 28.Poly-Lactic Acid Jamshidian, Production, Applications, Nanocomposites, and Release Studies, Compr. Rev. Food Sci, Food Saf, 2010Google Scholar
- 32.A. Shkodkin, A. Kashirin, O. Klyuev, T. Buzdygar, The Basic Principles of DYMET Technology, in: Int. Therm. Spray Conf., 2006, pp. 15–58. https://doi.org/10.1016/b978-0-443-10090-1.50010-4.
- 35.F. Rubino, P. Carlone, D. Aleksendrić, V. Čirović, L. Sorrentino, C. Bellini, Hard and Soft Computing Models of Composite Curing Process Looking Toward Monitoring and Control, in AIP Conf. Proc., 2016. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4963438.
- 37.L. Boccarusso, L. Carrino, M. Durante, A. Formisano, A. Langella, and F. Memola Capece Minutolo, Hemp Fabric/Epoxy Composites Manufactured by Infusion Process: Improvement of Fire Properties Promoted by Ammonium Polyphosphate, Compos. Part B Eng., 2016, 89, p 117–126. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2015.10.045 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 39.F. Tucci, F. Rubino, P. Carlone, Strain and Temperature Measurement in Pultrusion Processes by Fiber Bragg Grating Sensors, in AIP Conf. Proc., 2018. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.5034837.
- 41.A. Viscusi, P. Ammendola, A. Astarita, F. Raganati, F. Scherillo, A. Squillace, R. Chirone, and L. Carrino, Aluminum Foam Made via a New Method Based on Cold Gas Dynamic Sprayed Powders Mixed Through Sound Assisted Fluidization Technique, J. Mater. Process. Technol., 2016, 231, p 265–276. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2015.12.030 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 44.D. Rasselet, A. Ruellan, A. Guinault, C. Sollogoub, B. Fayolle, D. Rasselet, A. Ruellan, A. Guinault, G. Miquelard-garnier, Oxidative Degradation of Polylactide (PLA) and Its Effects on Physical and Mechanical Properties, To cite this version: HAL Id: hal-00977105 Science Arts & Métiers (SAM), (2014).Google Scholar
- 46.S. Kikuchi, Y. Hirota, and J. Komotori, Effect of Specimen Hardness and Shot Particle Hardness on Residual Stress and Fatigue Properties of SCM435H Steel Performed by Fine Particle Peening, Zair. Soc. Mater. Sci. Japan., 2010, 60, p 547–553. https://doi.org/10.2472/jsms.60.547 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 47.K.B. Tator, ASM Handbook, Vol 5B: Protective Organic Coatings, (2015).Google Scholar