Mechanical and Tribological Behavior of ZrB2-TiB2 System Prepared by Mechanical Activation Spark Plasma Sintering Technique
ZrB2-TiB2 system among varying amount of TiB2 loading (5, 10, 15, 20 and 30 wt.%) was prepared by mechanical activation spark plasma sintering at 2100 °C for 15-min dwell time under 50 MPa uniaxial pressure in argon atmosphere. The effect of the TiB2 loading on properties like physical, mechanical and tribological of the prepared samples was studied and evaluated with monolithic ZrB2 ceramic. Finally, almost fully dense samples (> 96% of theoretical density) were fabricated. Microstructural observation and XRD phase analysis of sintered compact revealed that TiB2 completely went into the ZrB2 structure by formation of solid solution with ZrB2 phase. ZrB2-TiB2 (30 wt.%) showed the highest Vickers micro-hardness (HV) of 20.64 GPa at 10 N load. On addition of TiB2, the fracture toughness of the ZrB2-TiB2 improved up to 4.69 ± 0.43 MPa m1/2 over monolithic ZrB2 at 10 N load. At 10 N load, the scratch resistance coefficient, wear rate and wear resistance coefficient of ZrB2-TiB2 (30 wt.%) reached a lowest value of 0.32, 0.35 mm3/N m and 0.008, respectively, at 10 N load than other ZrB2 compositions.
Keywordsmechanical property spark plasma technique titanium diboride tribological property UHTC zirconium diboride
The author (1) likes to communicate his sincere gratefulness to the Director, CSIR-CGCRI for permission of the M. Tech work. The author (2) is also grateful to CSIR, New Delhi for providing fund under 12th FYP program (CERMESA Project). Acknowledgement is also owing to AMMCD, NOCCD for supporting the fabication of samples and testing.
- 2.E. Wuchina, E. Opila, M. Opeka, W. Fahrenholtz, and I. Talmy, UHTCs: Ultra-high Temperature Ceramic Materials for Extreme Environment Applications, Electrochem. Soc. Interface, 2007, 16(4), p 30–36Google Scholar
- 6.C. Mroz, Annual Mineral Review: Zirconium Diboride, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 1995, 74, p 164–165Google Scholar
- 7.C. Mroz, Annual Mineral Review: Zirconium Diboride, Am. Ceram. Soc. Bull., 1994, 73, p 141–142Google Scholar
- 14.S. Chakraborty, D. Debnath, A.R. Mallick, and P.K. Das, Mechanical, Tribological, and Thermal Properties of Hot-Pressed ZrB2-B4C Composite, Int. J. Appl. Ceram. Technol., 2014, 2, p 1–9Google Scholar
- 47.B. Basu and M. Kalin, Tribology of Ceramics and Composites: A Materials Science Perspective, Chapter 6, Wiley, Hoboken, 2011, p 60–67Google Scholar