Wetting and Brazing of Chromium Film-Deposited Alumina Using AgCu Filler Metal
- 32 Downloads
Wetting behavior of AgCu filler on chromium film-deposited Al2O3 ceramics was studied by sessile drop method under vacuum, and brazing of chromium-deposited alumina using AgCu was carried out. Cr film can improve the wettability of AgCu filler on alumina ceramics, and the contact angle decreased dramatically. However, with further increase in temperature and extension of wetting time, Cr atom might diffuse excessively to molten alloy or substrate leading to thinned or disappeared Cr film on alumina; thus, the contact angle of AgCu on alumina increased. The reliable alumina joint was obtained via chromium deposition using AgCu filler brazed at 900 °C for 10 min, and no hard or brittle intermetallic compounds formed in the brazed joint. The maximum shear strength of 16.8 MPa was achieved when the thickness of deposited chromium film was 2 μm.
KeywordsAgCu filler metal brazing chromium-deposited alumina interfacial microstructure wetting behavior
This project is supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 51775138 and U1537206) and the Key Research & Development program of Shandong Province (No. 2017GGX40103).
- 25.ASM Handbook Volume 03 Alloy Phase Diagrams, 10th edn. (1992)Google Scholar
- 26.N. Sobczak, K. Nogi, H. Fujii et al., The Effect of Cr Thin Film on Wettability and Bonding in Ni/Alumina Couple. in ASM International Materials Solutions Conference, International Conference on Joining of Advanced and Specialty Materials (2003)Google Scholar
- 30.N. Eustathopoulos, M. Nicholas, and B. Drevet, Wettability at High Temperatures, Pergamon Press, Oxford, 1999, p 206Google Scholar
- 33.V. Laurent, Ph.d, thesis. INP Grenoble, France (1988)Google Scholar
- 36.N. Inoue, M. Kikuchi, T. Manabe et al., Effect of Ion Treatment on Water Wettability of SiO2 Glass, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res. B, 1997, 59–60, p 1328–1330Google Scholar