Effect of Immersion Time on Corrosion Behavior of Single-Phase Alloy and Nanocomposite Bismuth Telluride-Based Thermoelectrics in NaCl Solution
- 52 Downloads
The corrosiveness of bismuth telluride-based thermoelectric materials (n-type single-phase alloy and a nanocomposite with MoS2 nanoinclusions), in 0.1 molar solution of sodium chloride (NaCl), was investigated. The electrochemical impedance spectroscopy curves obtained after 1, 24, 48 and 72 h immersion time revealed the enhancement of the corrosion resistance of the nanocomposite specimen in a 0.1 molar NaCl solution in comparison with the single-phase bismuth telluride-based alloys, and the passivity increased by immersion time up to 72 h. The nanocomposite sample with submicron grains provided suitable nucleation sites for passive film nucleation that led to higher protective behavior.
Keywordsbismuth telluride corrosion behavior electrochemical impedance spectroscopy (EIS) nanocomposite thermoelectric
Synthesis and characterization of the samples were carried out at the Prof. Turenne’s thermoelectric research laboratory in Polytechnique Montreal. The electrochemical tests were conducted at Dr. Fattah-Alhosseini’s research laboratory in Bu-Ali Sina University. The financial aid of Iran National Science Foundation (INSF) (No. 96002434) is gratefully acknowledged.
- 1.H.J. Goldsmid, Applications of Thermoelectricity, Methue, Wiley, 1960Google Scholar
- 3.H.J. Goldsmid and R.T. Delves, Materials for Thermoelectric Refrigeration, GEC Journal, 1961, 28, p 102–105Google Scholar
- 5.B. Poudel, Q. Hao, Y. Ma, Y.C. Lan, A. Minnich, B. Yu, X.A. Yan, D.Z. Wang, A. Muto, D. Vashaee, X.Y. Chen, J.M. Liu, M.S. Dresselhaus, G. Chen, and Z.F. Ren, High-Thermoelectric Performance of Nanostructured Bismuth Antimony Telluride Bulk Alloys, Science, 2008, 320, p 634–638CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.M. Keshavarz Khorasgani, Synthesis and Characterization of Bismuth Telluride-Based Nanostructured Thermoelectric Composite Materials, Ecole polytechnique de Montréal, Université de Montréal, 2014, p. 126.Google Scholar
- 15.D. Vasilevskiy, J.M. Simard, F. Belanger, F. Bernier, S. Turenne, J. L’Ecuyer, Texture formation in extruded rods of (Bi,Sb)(2)(Te,Se)(3) thermoelectric alloys., Xxi International Conference on Thermoelectrics, Proceedings Ict ‘02, 2002, p 24–27.Google Scholar