A Study on the Performance of Dye Sensitized Solar Cells Using Extract from Wrightia tinctoria R.Br. as Photosensitizers
- 2 Downloads
In this study, eco-friendly natural dye sensitizers were extracted from the dried leaves of Wrightia tinctoria R.Br. (commonly known as “Pala indigo” or “Dyer’s oleander”) by cold methanolic and soxhlet extraction and used in dye sensitized solar cells (DSSC). The acidification of the extracted pigments was carried out using 0.1 N HCl. The absorption characteristics were studied by UV–visible spectroscopy, and the functional groups were identified by Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy. DSSCs constructed using these sensitizers were evaluated in terms of current density–voltage characteristics and electrochemical response. The DSSC fabricated with natural dye extracted by cold methanol exhibited maximum power conversion efficiency of 0.19%. The efficiency of the acidified cold methanolic extract-based DSSC was 0.06%.
KeywordsDye sensitized solar cell Wrightia tinctoria chlorophyll indirubin J–V characteristics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.J.P.F. Deleuze, History and description of the Royal Museum of Natural History (Paris: A. Royer, 1823).Google Scholar
- 6.C. Jolly and N.R. Mechery, Comparative pharmacognostical, Indian. J. Pharm. Sci. 51, 58 (1996).Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Chadha, The Wealth of India-Raw Materials (Council of Scientific and Industrial Research, New Delhi 1976),https://www.niscair.res.in/activitiesandservices/products/wealth-of-indiaFolder2010.pdf. Accessed 5 June 2010.
- 9.S. Sathyanarayanan, P. Selvam, J. Asha, R. George, K. Revikumar, and J. Neyts, Int. J. Chem. Sci. 7, 1 (2009).Google Scholar
- 10.M. Khyade and N. Vaikos, Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2, 176 (2011).Google Scholar
- 11.A. Muruganandam, S. Bhattacharya, and S. Ghosal, Indian J. Chem. 39B, 125 (2000).Google Scholar
- 12.S. Sathyajothi, R. Jayavel, and A.C. Dhanemozhi, Mater. Today: Proc. 4, 668–676 (2017).Google Scholar
- 13.S.M. Milenković, J.B. Zvezdanović, T.D. Anđelković, and D.Z. Marković, Adv. Technol. 1, 16–24 (2012).Google Scholar
- 18.N. Chanayath, S. Lhieochaiphant, and S. Phutrakul, Chiang Mai Univ. Sci. Fac. J. 1, 149–160 (2002).Google Scholar
- 21.W.A. Ayalew and D.W. Ayele, Jour. Sci.: Adv. Mater. Devices 1, 488 (2016).Google Scholar