A High-Efficiency 220 GHz Doubler Based on the Planar Schottky Varactor Diode
- 24 Downloads
In this paper, we present the design, analysis and measurement of a 220 GHz doubler, based on a planar Schottky varactor diode. The 3D model of the varactor diodes were firstly established in a high-frequency structure simulator, then the parasitic parameters were extracted and imported into advanced design system, in order to optimize the whole circuit. The experiment on the doubler was carried out, and the measured results showed the maximum output power of 21.39 mW with a corresponding efficiency of 24% at 218 GHz, which agreed well with simulation results. The conversion efficiency exceeded 10% in the frequency range of 197–230 GHz.
KeywordsTerahertz wave doubler Schottky varactor diode high conversion efficiency
This work was supported in part by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NSFC) under Grant Nos. 61771116 and 91738102.
- 9.A. Maestrini, J. Ward, H. Javadi, C. Tripon-Canseliet, J. Gill, G. Chattopadhyay, E. Schlecht, and I. Medhi, IEEE Microw. Wirel. Compon. Lett. 52, 1538 (2004).Google Scholar
- 11.A.Y. Tang, Modeling of Terahertz Planar Schottky diode, Thesis for The Degree of Licentiate of Engineering, Sweden: Chalmers University of Technology, (2011).Google Scholar
- 12.D.W. Porterfield, Millimeter-Wave Planar Varactor Frequency Doublers (Charlottesville: University of Virginia, 1998).Google Scholar
- 14.Z. Chen, H. Wang, B. Alderman, P. Huggard, B. Zhang, and Y. Fan, IEICE Electron. Express 13, 1 (2016).Google Scholar
- 15.C.F. Yao, M. Zhou, Y.S. Luo, and Y.N. Kou, J. Infrared Millim. Waves 34, 1 (2015).Google Scholar
- 16.P. Chen, X.J. Deng, B.B. Cheng, and C. Wang, in 2013 38th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves (IRMMW-THz), (2013).Google Scholar
Open AccessThis article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.