Microfabrication of Low Cost Frequency Selective Surface for Terahertz Wave by Laser Ablation
A method of fabricating and characterizing terahertz frequency selective surface filters from a low-cost silver adhesive tape has been reported in this paper. The proposed filter was initially evaluated numerically using the method of moment’s simulation and verified experimentally by terahertz time-domain spectroscopy technique. The numerical results show that the cross aperture frequency selective surface has angle-resolved and polarization independent operation. The proposed silver adhesive tape and conventional copper-based frequency selective surface have been fabricated using a laser micromachining process. A 20 ns-pulsed laser operating at 1064 nm wavelength was used to create the desired structure by ablation mechanism in the copper film. The pattern ablated by the laser is a cross-shaped slit on copper and silver adhesive tape. The patterned structure was designed to resonate at 0.25 THz by the cross-arm structure. The fabricated structure shows the peak transmittance of 90% with a full-width half maximum of 48% with respect to the resonance. The adhesive tape based frequency selective surface provides similar transmission characteristics compared to a conventional frequency selective surface.
KeywordsMicromachining laser ablation terahertz frequency selective surface sensing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.M. Esakkimuthu, S.B. Suseela, R. Sankararajan, A. Gupta, G. Rana, and S. Prabhu, J. Laser Micro Nanoeng. 12, 313 (2017).Google Scholar
- 10.K.G. Nichols, Proc. IEE 116, 2093 (1969).Google Scholar
- 17.K. Tada, G. Cohoon, K. Kieu, M. Mansuripur, and R.A. Norwood, IEEE Photonic Technol. Lett. 85712, 430 (2012).Google Scholar
- 18.N. Farid, P. Dasgupta, H. Chan, D. Milne, and G.M. O’Connor, Opt. InfoBase Conf. Pap. Part F82-C, 6736 (2017).Google Scholar
- 23.E. Manikandan, B.S. Sreeja, S. Radha, M. Duraiselvam, A. Gupta, and S. Prabhu, Opt. Eng. 58, 011007 (2018).Google Scholar