Effect of Composition on Thermoelectric Properties of As-Cast Materials: The Cu12−xCoxSb4S13−ySey Case
- 18 Downloads
Samples with Cu12−xCoxSb4S13−ySey (0 ≤ x ≤ 2, 0 ≤ y ≤ 1) nominal compositions were prepared by melting the elements under vacuum, followed by slow cooling. The phases formed in this process were identified and characterized by powder x-ray diffraction and scanning electron microscopy observations, complemented with energy-dispersive spectroscopy. All samples have tetrahedrite as the major phase (> 78 vol.%). However, minority phases like skinnerite and chalcostibite are usually also observed, the number and volume of them increasing with the increase of cobalt content. Measurements of electrical resistivity and Seebeck coefficient showed that these materials can present large power factors, with the Cu11.5Co0.5Sb4S12Se sample having a room temperature value higher than 200 μW K−2 m−1.
KeywordsTetrahedrites as-cast materials thermoelectric materials power factor
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was partially supported by Fundação para a Ciência e Tecnologia (FCT), Portugal, through the contracts UID/Multi/04349/2013 and POCI-01-0145-FEDER-016674, and by the Project THERMOSS (M-ERA-NET2/0010/2016).
- 1.A.F. Ioffe, Energetic Basis of Thermoelectrical Cells from Semiconductors (Moscow: Academy of Sciences of the USSR, 1950) (in Russian).Google Scholar
- 15.L. Xu and D.T. Morelli, Tetrahedrites: earth-abundant thermoelectric materials with intrinsically low thermal conductivity. Materials Aspect of Thermoelectricity, ed. C. Uher (Boca Raton: Taylor & Francis Group, 2016), p. 473.Google Scholar
- 16.C. Candolfi, Y. Bouyrie, S. Sassi, A. Dauscher, and B. Lenoir, Tetrahedrites: prospective novel thermoelectric materials. Thermoelectrics for Power Generation: A Look at Trends in the Technology, ed. S. Skipidarov and M. Nikitin (Rijeka: IntechOpen, 2016), p. 71.Google Scholar
- 20.G. Nolze and W. Kraus, Powder Cell for Windows (Version 2.3) (Berlin: Federal Institute for Materials Research and Testing, 1999).Google Scholar
- 22.J. Rodriguez-Carvajal, FULLPROF: a program for Rietveld refinement and pattern matching analyses, Abstracts of the Satellite Meeting on Powder Diffraction of the XVth Congress of the International Union of Crystallography, Toulouse, France, 1990, p. 127Google Scholar