Influence of Doping and Splitting of Source in a Group IV Material Based Tunnel Field Effect Transistor
- 15 Downloads
In this work, the effect of abrupt source doping in a tunnel field effect transistor (TFET) using SiGe as the source and drain material is investigated for future low-voltage and high-power applications. The effect of critical device factors, such as dielectric material and gate oxide thickness and dependency on the mole fraction, are examined. The results of the proposed SiGe-Si-SiGe TFET structure are compared with existing data of Si TFET and SiGe-Si-Si TFET with and without abrupt doping. The proposed structure shows better ION/IOFF ratio of the order of 1011 and a sub-threshold swing of 18.18 mV/decade, which ensures fast switching applications of the device.
KeywordsBand-to-band tunneling (BTBT) TCAD simulation ambipolar conduction tunnel field effect transistor (TFET)
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The work is supported by DST-Science and Engineering Research Board (DST-SERB), Govt. of India, under Early Career Research Award Scheme 2017 (FILE NO. ECR/2017/000794) awarded to Rikmantra Basu. Harshvardhan Kumar thankfully acknowledges financial support in the form of a Junior Research Fellowship under the scheme.
- 4.R. Chau, M. Doczy, B. Doyle, S. Datta, G. Dewey, J. Kavalieros, B. Jin, M. Metz, A. Majumdar, and M. Radosavljevic, in IEEE 7th International Conference on Solid-State Integrated Circuits Technology (IEEE, 2004), pp. 26–30.Google Scholar
- 5.E. Abou-Allam, T. Manku, M. Ting, and M.S. Obrecht, in IEEE 2000 Custom Integrated Circuits Conference (2004), pp. 361–364.Google Scholar
- 6.S. Saurabh and M.J. Kumar, Fundamentals of Tunnel Field-Effect Transistors (Boca Raton: CRC Press, 2017).Google Scholar
- 11.N. Bagga, S. Sarkhel, and S. K. Sarkar, in IEEE International Conference on Computing, Communication and Automation ICCCA 2015 (2015), pp. 1264–1267.Google Scholar
- 12.A.S. Verhulsta, W.G. Vandenberghea, D.Leonellia, R. Rooyackersa, A. Vandoorena, J. Zhuged, W. Magnusa, M.V Fischettif, G. Pourtoisa, R. Huangd, D. Meyera, W. Dehaenea, M.M. Heynsa, and G. Groesenekena, in IEEE 69th Device Research Conference (2011), pp. 193–196.Google Scholar
- 14.D.B. Abdi and M.J. Kumar, Manuf. Chem. 2, 187 (2014).Google Scholar
- 20.J.A. Martino, P.G.D. Agopian, E. Simoen, and C. Claeys, in Proceedings—2014 IEEE 12th International Conference on Solid-State Integrated Circuit Technology, ICSICT 2014 (2014), pp. 3–6.Google Scholar
- 21.K. Tomioka, M. Yoshimura, and T. Fukui, in Digest of Technical Papers—Symposium on VLSI Technology (2012), pp. 47–48.Google Scholar
- 23.U.E. Avci and I.A. Young, in Technical Digest—International Electron Devices Meeting, IEDM (2013), pp. 96–99.Google Scholar
- 25.M.R. Salehi, E. Abiri, S.E. Hosseini, and B. Dorostkar, in 2013 21st Iranian Conference on Electrical Engineering, ICEE 2013 (2013).Google Scholar
- 27.S.Y. Hyung and O.C. Chi, in Device Research Conference—Conference on Digest DRC (2009), pp. 87–88.Google Scholar
- 30.T.Y. Liow, K.M. Tan, H.C. Chin, R.T. P. Lee, C.H. Tung, G.S. Samudra, N. Balasubramanian, and Y.C. Yeo, in Technical Digest—International Electron Devices Meeting, IEDM (2006), pp. 0–3.Google Scholar
- 32.E.H. Toh, G.H. Wang, G.Q. Lo, L. Chan, G. Samudra, and Y.C. Yeo, Appl. Phys. Lett. 90, 2005 (2007).Google Scholar
- 33.Silvaco, Atlas User’s Manual (Santa Clara, CA, 2016).Google Scholar
- 34.M. Merry, K. Arkenberg, E. Therkildsen, E. Chiaburu, and W. Standfest, in Optimization of Device Performance Using Semiconductor TCAD Tools (2001).Google Scholar
- 36.M. Schmidt, L. Knoll, S. Richter, A. Schäfer, J. M. Hartmann, Q.T. Zhao, and S. Mantl, in 2012 13th International Conference on Ultimate Integrated Silicon, ULIS 2012 (2012), pp. 191–194.Google Scholar
- 38.N. Dang Chien, N.T. Thu, C.-H. Shih, and L.T. Vinh, in 2016 International Conference on IC Design and Technology (2016), pp. 1–4.Google Scholar
- 39.M. Fathipour, B. Abbaszadeh, F. Kahani, and F. Farbiz, in IEEE International Semiconductor Device Research Symposium (2007), pp. 1–2.Google Scholar