Effects of α-Fe2O3 Additions on Assembly Reliability of Electroplated Sn-Based Solder Cap on Cu Pillar Bump During Thermal Cycling
- 8 Downloads
Composite solder alloys reinforced by different nominal concentrations of α-Fe2O3 nanoparticles are examined and the performance of corresponding copper (Cu) pillar bumps during thermal cycling (TC) tests is investigated. Firstly, the spherical α- Fe2O3 nanoparticles (50 nm in diameter) were successfully prepared by a chemical method. Then, the Sn-xFe2O3 composite solders with different concentrations of α-Fe2O3 were deposited on the surface of Cu pillar bumps by electroplating. During electroplating, the concentration of α-Fe2O3 nanoparticles in the plating solution ranged from 0 g/L to 0.04 g/L. TC tests of fabricated joints were conducted from − 65°C to 150°C for different numbers of cycles. The microstructure, evolution of interfacial intermetallic compounds (IMCs) and the shear strength of the solder joints were investigated following TC tests. Cross-sectional analysis indicates that adding α-Fe2O3 nanoparticles can remarkably suppress the overgrowth of the interfacial IMCs. Compared to the strength of joint without nanoparticles after the TC test, the strength of joints increases with the addition of α-Fe2O3 and an optimum nominal concentration of 0.032 g/L in the electroplating solution was identified.
Keywordsα-Fe2O3 nanoparticles Cu pillar bump intermetallic compound thermal cycling
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The authors gratefully acknowledge the support received from the China Aerospace Science and Technology Innovation Fund (2016) and the Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant: 51401024).
- 4.A. Bao, L. Zhao, Y.Y. Sun, M. Han, G. Yeap, S. Bezuk, P. Holmes, C. Alcira, X.F. Zhang, and K. Lee. ECTC 64, 47–49 (2014).Google Scholar
- 7.B. Ebersberger and C. Lee, ECTC 58, 59–66 (2008).Google Scholar
- 8.M.W. Lee, J.Y. Kom, J. D. Kim, and C.H. Lee, ECTC 60, 1623–1630 (2010).Google Scholar
- 9.J.-W. Nah, M. Gaynes, E. Perfecto, and C. Feger. ECTC 62, 1233–1238 (2012).Google Scholar
- 11.A. Syed, K. Dhandapani, R. Moody, L. Nicholls, and M. Kelly, ECTC 61, 332–339 (2011).Google Scholar
- 13.F. Kuechenmeister, D. Breuer, H. Geisler, J. Paul, C. Shah, K.V. Machani, S. Kosgalwies, R. Agarwal, and S. Gao, ECTC 14, 430–436 (2012).Google Scholar
- 16.F.X. Che, J.K. Lin, K.Y. Au, H.Y. Hsiao, and X.W. Zhang, Pack. Man. Technol. 5, 1273–1283 (2015).Google Scholar
- 17.V. Solberg and V. Oganesian, CPMT Symposium Japan 1–4 (2010).Google Scholar
- 19.W.S. Rasband, U.S. Natutestional Institute of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA, 1997–2012. http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/.