Modelling of Freestanding Membrane-Supported Superconducting Al/Ti Bilayer Transition Edge Sensor Bolometer
- 16 Downloads
The aim of this research work was to model the behaviour of a transition edge sensor (TES) bolometer by applying curve fitting methodology on empirical data. Data obtained from the experiments were used to plot characteristic curves to find resistance–temperature (R–T) and current–voltage (I–V) relations. The measurements were taken by using a cryogenic-free 3He refrigerator with a least temperature of 320 mK. Least-squares curve fitting technique was used to devise the equations of the experimentally obtained data. Similarly, the empirical data and estimated curves were validated using the parameters of R-squared, sum of squares due to error (SSE), adjusted R-squared, and root-mean-squared error (RMSE). By comparing the plot of the empirical data and estimated behaviour curves showed high degree of similarity, and hence it was established that these equations could be used to estimate the bolometer’s operating behaviour for different ambient conditions with minimal percentage error. We also studied etched (TES device suspended on SiN) and non-etched (Si substrate based device) samples of bolometers. It was concluded that bolometers made up of etched sample of TES are appropriate for use in millimetre and submillimeter waves, especially for cosmic microwave background polarization detection.
KeywordsTransition edge sensor bolometer SQUID sum of squared error (SSE) R-squared R-squared error
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
The National Natural Science Foundation of China supported this work. The State Key Program supports the project for Basic Research of China.
- 1.A.J. Walton, W. Parkes, J.G. Terry, C. Dunare, J.T.M. Stevenson, A.M. Gundlach, G.C. Hilton, K.D. Irwin, J.N. Ullom, W.S. Holland, W.D. Duncan, M.D. Audley, P.A.R. Ade, R.V. Sudiwala, and E. Schulte, IEEE Proc. Sci. Meas. Technol. 110 (2004).Google Scholar
- 2.K.D. Irwin and G.C. Hilton, Appl. Phys. 63, 152 (2005).Google Scholar
- 10.K. Arnold, Design and deployment of the POLARBEAR cosmic microwave background polarization experiment. Ph.D. Thesis. California: University of California, Berkeley (2010).Google Scholar
- 13.L. Dunlop, D.M. Glowacka, D.J. Goldie, in Proceeding SPIE, p. 6275 (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.J.A. Burney, Transition-edge sensor imaging arrays for astrophysics applications. Ph.D. Thesis, Stanford University (2007).Google Scholar
- 15.A.J. Miller, Development of a broadband optical spectrophotometer using superconducting transition-edge sensors. Ph.D. Thesis, Stanford University (2001).Google Scholar
- 20.K. Arnold, P.A.R. Ade, A.E. Anthony, in Proceeding SPIE, p. 11 (2010).Google Scholar
- 24.M. Tinkham and V. Emery, Introduction to Superconductivity, 2nd ed. (New York: Dover Publications, 1996), p. 43.Google Scholar
- 27.Q. Zhang, G. He, and W. Dong, in Proceeding of 10th International Workshop on Low Temperature Electronics, p. 70 (2013).Google Scholar
- 28.Q. Zhang, W. Dong, and T. Wang, Chin. Low Temp. Phys. 36, 7 (2014).Google Scholar