X-ray Diffraction Residual Stress Measurement at Room Temperature and 77 K in a Microelectronic Multi-layered Single-Crystal Structure Used for Infrared Detection
- 67 Downloads
The electronic assembly considered in this study is an infrared (IR) detector consisting of different layers, including (111) CdHgTe and (100) silicon single crystals. The processing steps and the low working temperature (77 K) induce thermomechanical stresses that can affect the reliability of the thin and brittle CdHgTe detection circuit and lead to failure. These residual stresses have been quantified in both CdHgTe and silicon circuits at room temperature (293 K) and cryogenic temperature using x-ray diffraction. A specific experimental device has been developed for 77 K measurements and a method developed for single-crystal analysis has been adapted to such structures using a laboratory four-circle diffractometer. This paper describes the methodology to obtain the deformed lattice parameter and compute the strain/stress tensors. Whereas the stresses in the CdHgTe layer appear to be negative at room temperature (compressive values), cryogenic measurements show a tensile biaxial stress state of about 30 MPa and highlight the great impact of low temperature on the mechanical properties.
KeywordsSemiconductor compounds x-ray diffraction cryogenic temperature residual stresses thermomechanical processing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the region of Lorraine in France in collaboration with CEA (Commissariat à l’Energie Atomique).
- 6.W. Kpobie, N. Bonfoh, C. Dreistadt, M. Fendler and P. Lipinski, in EuroSimE (2013), pp. 1–6.Google Scholar
- 8.B. Ortner, Adv. X-ray Anal. 29, 113–118 (1986).Google Scholar
- 11.P. Castelein, F. Marion, J.-L. Martin, J. Baylet, N. Moussy, O. Gravrand, A. Durand, J.-P. Chamonal, and G. Destefanis, in Proceedings SPIE (2003), pp. 5251–5259.Google Scholar
- 16.P. Capper, Properties of Narrow Gap Cadmium-Based Compounds (London: INSPEC, the Institution of Electrical Engineers, 1994).Google Scholar
- 19.X. Chen, F. Dong, K. He, J. Wang, and Q. Zhang, Proceedings SPIE 8419 (2012).Google Scholar