Characterization of La-Zn Substituted Co2Y Hexagonal Ferrite
- 31 Downloads
La-Zn substituted Ba2Co2Fe12O22 (Co2Y) hexagonal ferrite was synthesized using a conventional solid-state method with composition Ba2−xLaxCo2Fe12−xZnxO22, where x equals 0.0, 0.1, 0.3 and 0.5. The phase formation behavior and changes in the crystal structure of the substituted ferrite were investigated using x-ray diffraction (XRD) analysis. Accurate lattice parameters were evaluated through Rietveld refinement of the XRD pattern. XRD, as well as energy dispersive spectral analysis, showed the formation of a lanthanum iron oxide phase in x = 0.3 and 0.5 compositions. There was a small increase in unit cell volume with the substitution. The microstructural analysis showed a decrease in grain size with increasing substitution. The magnetic properties; Ms, Mr, and Hc of the ferrite were measured and found to increase with increasing substitution. Permittivity and permeability were measured and found in the range 10–16. It can be concluded that the La-Zn substitution was an effective method for improving magnetic and dielectric properties of the Co2Y ferrite.
KeywordsCo2Y hexagonal ferrite solid state reaction La-Zn substitution grain growth inhibitor magneto-dielectric properties
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported by the SERB-DST (Grant No. SB/S3/ME/076/2013) of Government of India. Also, authors would like to acknowledge Dr. Prakash Nath Vishwakarma, Department of Physics and Astronomy, NIT Rourkela for the help on measuring the magnetic properties of the samples.
- 1.G.H. Jonker, H.P.J. Wijn, and P.B. Braun, Philips Tech. Rev. 18, 145 (1956).Google Scholar
- 2.J. Smit and H.P.J. Wijn, Ferrites (The Netherlands: Philips Technical Library, 1959).Google Scholar
- 3.M. Sugimoto, Ferromagnetic Materials, vol. 3, ed. E.P. Wohfarth (Amsterdam: North-Holland Physics Publishing, 1980), p. 394.Google Scholar
- 16.D.U. You-wei, L.U. Huai-xian, Z. Yu-cheng, and W. Ting-xiang, J. Magn. Magn. Mater. 31–34, 793 (1983).Google Scholar
- 20.C.M. Kim, C.H. Rhee, and C.S. Kim, IEEE Trans. Magn. 48, 11 (2012).Google Scholar