Effects of GaAs Surface Treatment Processes on Photocurrent Properties of Cs/p-GaAs (001) Fabricated Using a MOCVD–NEA Multichamber System
The effects of surface treatment processes of p-GaAs (001) on the photocurrent properties of Cs/p-GaAs (001) obtained during Cs evaporation have been investigated using a metal–organic chemical vapor deposition (MOCVD)–negative electron affinity (NEA) multichamber system comprising an MOCVD chamber, load–lock chamber, and NEA surface-activation chamber. Samples were transferred from the MOCVD chamber to the NEA surface-activation chamber without air exposure. Moreover, the air exposure time before Cs evaporation was controlled by opening the load–lock chamber. Almost the same peak photocurrents were observed for samples fabricated using only tertiarybutylarsine or H2 supply after thermal cleaning of the p-GaAs substrate. However, tertiarybutylphosphine supply after thermal cleaning of the p-GaAs substrate degraded its surface morphology and decreased its peak photocurrent. The peak photocurrent decreased monotonically with lengthening air exposure time. Moreover, the start time of the rise in photocurrent was delayed monotonically with lengthening air exposure time. These experimental results reveal that the surface treatment process of p-GaAs (001) applied before Cs evaporation is an important factor controlling the photocurrent properties.
KeywordsNEA photocathode GaAs MOCVD multichamber system
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This work was supported in part by SENTAN-JST and the Aoyama Gakuin University-Supported ‘‘Early Eagle Program.’’ The authors thank Associate Prof. Tomohiro Nishitani for fruitful discussion on the photocurrent measurements.
- 6.B.M. Dunham and L.S. Cardman, PAC 95/IUPAP 2 (1996), p. 1030Google Scholar
- 13.T. Nishitani, T. Maekawa, M. Tabuchi, T. Meguro, Y. Honda, and H. Amano, in Proceedings of SPIE 9363, 93630T (2015), p. 1Google Scholar
- 18.A.A. Turnbull and G.B. Evans, Br. J. Appl. Phys. 1, 155 (1968).Google Scholar
- 19.K. Hayase, T. Nishitani, and T. Meguro, IEEJ Trans. Electron. Inf. Syst. 132, 1261 (2012).Google Scholar
- 24.J. Grames, P. Adderley, J. Brittian, D. Charles, J. Clark, J. Hansknecht, M. Poelker, M. Stutzman, and K. Surles-Law, in Proceedings of 2005 Particle Accelerator Conference (2005), p. 2875Google Scholar
- 28.A.H. Sommer, H.H. Whitaker, and B.F. Williams, J. Appl. Phys. 17, 273 (1970).Google Scholar