Development and Experimental Validation of a New Off-Grid Thermoelectric Fancoil for Domestic Heating
- 12 Downloads
Conventional heating systems are based either on radiators or on fan coils and the heat transfer process is carried out by convection phenomena in both cases, but with some fundamental differences. Traditional radiators can be considered less efficient compared to fancoils due to the fact that their performance relies on natural convection, a less efficient heat transfer process than forced convection. However, in contrast to fan coils, conventional radiators can operate without the need for mains supply. In this paper, a new heating device based on thermoelectricity, that combines the advantages of both radiators and fancoils, is presented. This new system exploits the heat coming from the heating system to generate electricity, which is consumed in situ to power a fan, eliminating the need for a nearby wall outlet. For this purpose, a laboratory prototype has been built and experimental characterization has been carried out.
KeywordsThermoelectric generator power generation energy harvesting domestic heating energy efficiency
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Panasonic, Nuevo Aquarea Air, el fancoil-radiante. (Panasonic Marketing Europe GmbH, 2018). http://www.aircon.panasonic.eu/ES_es/happening/nuevo-aquarea-air-el-fancoil-radiante/ Accessed 7 June 2018
- 2.HTP Comfort Solutions. HTP Ultra-Thin Hydronic Fan Coil. (HTP Comfort Solutions LLC, 2018). http://www.htproducts.com/fan-coil.html Accessed 16 February 2018
- 3.123 Zero Energy. Ultra-Thin Fan Coil Unit. (123 Zero Energy, 2018). https://www.123zeroenergy.com/ductless-split-fan-coil.html Accessed 17 February 2018
- 4.M.P. Codecasa, C. Fanciulli, R. Gaddi, F. Gomez-Paz, and F.J. Passareti, Electron. Mater. (2015). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11664-014-3297-9
- 5.The Radfan—Proven Energy Savings (HeatwaveUK Ltd, 2018). https://www.radfan.com Accessed 28 May 2018
- 6.Radiatorbooster (Radiatorbooster, 2018). https://radiatorbooster.com/ Accessed 6 June 2018.
- 7.A. Montecucco, J. Siviter, and A.R. Knox, Appl. Energy (2017). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.10.132