Synthesis and Thermoelectric Properties of p-Type Double-Filled Ce1−z YbzFe4−x Co x Sb12 Skutterudites
- 119 Downloads
p-Type Ce1−z YbzFe4−x Co x Sb12 skutterudites were prepared by encapsulated melting and hot pressing. The thermoelectric and transport properties were examined as a function of Ce/Yb double filling fraction and amount of Co substitution. The Hall coefficients and Seebeck coefficients were positive, implying that all specimens had p-type conduction. Carrier concentration decreased with increasing Co and Yb content. Electrical conductivity decreased and Seebeck coefficients increased with increasing Co content, because of charge compensation. In contrast, electrical conductivity increased and Seebeck coefficients decreased with increasing Yb filling fraction, because of the valence difference between Yb2 or 3+ and Ce3 or 4+. The lattice thermal conductivity of the double-filled skutterudites was lower than that of the single-filled skutterudites. The thermoelectric properties of the double-filled skutterudites were improved substantially; the maximum power factor, PF = 3.2 mW m−1 K−2, was achieved at 823 K for Ce0.25Yb0.75Fe3.5Co0.5Sb12 and the maximum dimensionless figure of merit ZT = 0.87 was achieved at 723 K for Ce0.75Yb0.25Fe3.5Co0.5Sb12.
KeywordsThermoelectric skutterudite double filling charge compensation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.G.A. Slack, Handbook of Thermoelectrics, edited by D.M. Rowe (CRC Press, Boca Raton, 1995), p. 407.Google Scholar
- 12.B. Duan, P. Zhai, L. Liu, Q. Zhang, and X. Ruan, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 23, 1817 (2012).Google Scholar
- 13.Z. Qin, K.F. Cai, S. Chen, and Y. Du, J. Mater. Sci.: Mater. Electron. 24, 4142 (2013).Google Scholar
- 16.G. Tan, Y. Zheng, Y. Yan, and X. Tang, J. Alloys Compd. 584, 216 (2014).Google Scholar
- 33.D.K. Shin and I.H. Kim, J. Kor. Phys. Soc. (Korea National University of Transportation, Chungju, Korea, to be submitted in 2015).Google Scholar
- 34.G.S. Joo, D.K. Shin, and I.H. Kim, J. Kor. Phys. Soc. (Korea National University of Transportation, Chungju, Korea, to be submitted in 2015).Google Scholar
- 39.K.H. Park, I.H. Kim, S.M. Choi, Y.S. Lim, W.S. Seo, and K.H. Kim, Jpn. J. Appl. Phys. 52, 10MB18 (2013).Google Scholar