GaSb Thermophotovoltaic Cells Grown on GaAs Substrate Using the Interfacial Misfit Array Method
- 388 Downloads
We present gallium antimonide (GaSb) p–i–n photodiodes for use as thermophotovoltaic (TPV) cells grown on gallium arsenide (100) substrates using the interfacial misfit array method. Devices were grown using molecular beam epitaxy and fabricated using standard microfabrication processes. X-ray diffraction was used to measure the strain, and current–voltage (I–V) tests were performed to determine the photovoltaic properties of the TPV cells. Energy generation at low efficiencies was achieved, and device performance was critically analyzed.
KeywordsThermophotovoltaic interfacial misfit array lattice mismatch gallium antimonide
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
This material is based upon work supported by␣the National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship under Grant No. DGE-0806676 and NSF Grant No. ECCS-1055203. This work was performed in part at the Center for Nanoscale Systems (CNS), a member of the National Nanotechnology Infrastructure Network (NNIN), which is supported by the National Science Foundation under NSF Award No. ECS-0335765. CNS is part of Harvard University. The Tufts Micro- and Nanofabrication Facility was also used for this work.
- 1.D.F. DeMeo and T.E. Vandervelde, MRS Proc. 1329 (2011).Google Scholar
- 3.C.M. Shemelya and T.E. Vandervelde, MRS Proc. 1208, 1208 (2011).Google Scholar
- 5.D.L. Chubb, Fundamentals of Thermophotovoltaic Energy Conversion (Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2007), p. 515.Google Scholar
- 17.J. Shao, T.E. Vandervelde, W.-Y. Jang, A. Stintz, and S. Krishna, 2008 8th IEEE Conference on Nanotechnology (IEEE, 2008), pp. 112–115.Google Scholar
- 19.P. Vines, C.H. Tan, J.P.R. David, R.S. Attaluri, T.E. Vandervelde, and S. Krishna, SPIE Eur. Secur. Def., ed D.A. Huckridge and R.R. Ebert (Bellingham, WA: International Society for Optics and Photonics, 2008), pp. 71130J–71130J-7.Google Scholar
- 27.W.C. Riordan, R. Miller, J.M. Sherman, and J. Hicks, 1999 IEEE International Reliability Physics Symposium Proceedings. 37th Annual. (Cat. No. 99CH36296) (IEEE, 1999), pp. 1–11.Google Scholar