Printed Se-Doped MA n-Type Bi2Te3 Thick-Film Thermoelectric Generators
- 470 Downloads
In this work, we highlight new materials processing developments and fabrication techniques for dispenser-printed thick-film single-element thermoelectric generators (TEG). Printed deposition techniques allow for low-cost and scalable manufacturing of microscale energy devices. This work focuses on synthesis of unique composite thermoelectric systems optimized for low-temperature applications. We also demonstrate device fabrication techniques for high-density arrays of high-aspect-ratio planar single-element TEGs. Mechanical alloyed (MA) n-type Bi2Te3 powders were prepared by taking pure elemental Bi and Te in 36:64 molar ratio and using Se as an additive. X-ray diffraction (XRD) and scanning electron microscopy (SEM) techniques were used to characterize the as-milled powders to confirm the Bi2Te3 phase formation and particle size below 50 μm. Thermoelectric properties of the composites were measured from room temperature to 100°C. We achieved a dimensionless figure of merit (ZT) of 0.17 at 300 K for MA n-type Bi2Te3–epoxy composites with 2 wt.% Se additive. A 20 single-leg TEG prototype with 5 mm × 400 μm × 120 μm printed element dimensions was fabricated on a polyimide substrate with evaporated gold contacts. The prototype device produced a power output of 1.6 μW at 40 μA and 40 mV voltage for a temperature difference of 20°C.
KeywordsThermoelectric energy harvesting mechanical alloy dispenser printing polymer composites
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.W. Glatz, E. Schwyter, L. Durrer, and C. Hierold, J. Micromech. Microeng. 18, 763 (2009).Google Scholar
- 5.K. Gilleo, Polymer Thick Film (New York: Thomson, 2006).Google Scholar
- 6.K. Miyazaki, T. Lida, and H. Tsukamoto, Proceedings of 22nd International Conference on Thermoelectrics (France, 17–21 August, 2003), p. 641.Google Scholar
- 7.C.C. Ho, J.W. Evans, and P.K. Wright, Proceedings of Ninth Power MEMS Workshop (2009), p. 141.Google Scholar
- 11.A. Chen, M. Koplow, D. Madan, P.K. Wright, and J.W. Evans, Proc. ASME Conf. 12, 343 (2009).Google Scholar