Gettered GaP Substrates for Improved Multijunction Solar Cell Devices
- 116 Downloads
We report on the characterization of gettered p-type GaP substrates for application in high-efficiency multijunction solar cells. A commercial zinc-doped GaP substrate was divided, with one piece soaked in a phosphorus-saturated gallium-aluminum melt at 975°C. Low-temperature continuous-wave photoluminescence indicated a significant decrease in deep-level impurity peaks due to oxygen and zinc-oxygen complexes after gettering in the phosphorus-saturated gallium-aluminum melt. To illustrate what effect this has on minority-carrier diffusion lengths, Au/GaP Schottky solar cells were fabricated on the substrates, and the spectral response of each was examined. A marked increase in response across all wavelengths on the gettered sample indicates an increase in minority-carrier diffusion lengths. To ensure these results were not simply due to an increase in the depletion region width resulting from a change in carrier density, C–V profiling was performed and found only a small change in carrier concentration of the gettered sample.
KeywordsGettering GaP multijunction solar cell photoluminescence spectral response capacitance–voltage
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. Wojtczuk, P. Chiu, Z. Xuebing, D. Derkacs, C. Harris, D. Pulver, and M. Timmons, Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (PVSC), 2010 35th IEEE (2010), p. 001259.Google Scholar
- 3.A. Barnett, D. Kirkpatrick, C. Honsberg, D. Moore, M. Wanlass, K. Emery, R. Schwartz, D. Carlson, S. Bowden, D. Aiken, A. Gray, S. Kurtz, L. Kazmerski, M. Steiner, J. Gray, T. Davenport, R. Buelow, L. Takacs, N. Shatz, J. Bortz, O. Jani, K. Goossen, F. Kiamilev, A. Doolittle, I. Ferguson, B. Unger, G. Schmidt, E. Christensen, and D. Salzman, Prog. Photovolt. 17, 75 (2009).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.C.R. Allen, J.M. Woodall, and J.-H. Jeon, Sol. Energy Mater. Sol. Cells, submitted (2010).Google Scholar
- 7.C.R. Allen (Ph.D. Dissertation, Purdue University, 2010).Google Scholar
- 8.H.J. Hovel and J.M. Woodall, Proceedings of the 11th IEEE Photovoltaic Specialists Conference (Scottsdale, AZ, 1975), p. 433.Google Scholar
- 13.D.M. Demidov, A.M. Zykov, and B.E. Samorukov, Russ. Phys. J. 15, 1063 (1972).Google Scholar