Bi2Te3-Sb2Te3 Superlattices Grown by Nanoalloying
- First Online:
- 358 Downloads
In this work, Bi2Te3-Sb2Te3 superlattices were prepared by the nanoalloying approach. Very thin layers of Bi, Sb, and Te were deposited on cold substrates, rebuilding the crystal structure of V2VI3 compounds. Nanoalloyed super- lattices consisting of alternating Bi2Te3 and Sb2Te3 layers were grown with a thickness of 9 nm for the individual layers. The as-grown layers were annealed under different conditions to optimize the thermoelectric parameters. The obtained layers were investigated in their as-grown and annealed states using x-ray diffraction (XRD), scanning electron microscopy (SEM), energy-dispersive x-ray (EDX) spectroscopy, transmission electron microscopy (TEM), and electrical measurements. A lower limit of the elemental layer thickness was found to have c-orientation. Pure nanoalloyed Sb2Te3 layers were p-type as expected; however, it was impossible to synthesize p-type Bi2Te3 layers. Hence the Bi2Te3-Sb2Te3 superlattices consisting of alternating n- and p-type layers showed poor thermoelectric properties.
KeywordsThermoelectrics Bi2Te3-Sb2Te3 superlattices nanoalloying
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.J. Nurnus, H. Böttner, and A. Lambrecht, Thermoelectrics Handbook: Macro to Nanostructured Materials, ed. D.M. Rowe (Boca Raton: Taylor & Francis, 2006), p. 48.1.Google Scholar
- 4.H. Böttner, A. Schubert, H. Kölbel, A. Gavrikov, A. Mahlke, and J. Nurnus (Proceedings of 23rd International Conference on Thermoelectrics (ICT), Adelaide, 2009).Google Scholar
- 5.J. König, J. Nurnus, R. Glatthaar, H. Böttner, and A. Lambrecht (Proceedings of 8th European Workshop on Thermoelectrics (ETS), Krakow (Poland), 15–17 September 2004).Google Scholar
- 6.A. Jacquot, J. König, and H. Böttner (Proceedings of 25th International Conference on Thermoelectrics, Vienna, Austria, 2006), p. 184.Google Scholar
- 8.J. Nurnus and H. Böttner (Proceedings of 19th International Conference on Thermoelectrics, Cardiff (U.K.) 21–25 August 2000), pp. 236–240.Google Scholar