Thermal Analysis of the Sn-Ag-Cu-In Solder Alloy
The tin-based alloy Sn-1.5Ag-0.7Cu-9.5In (composition in wt.%) is a potential candidate for lead-free soldering at temperatures close to 200°C due to the significant amount of indium. Samples of Sn-1.5Ag-0.7Cu-9.5In were prepared by controlled melting of the pure elements, followed by quenching to room temperature. The samples were analyzed by scanning electron microscopy/energy-dispersive x-ray spectroscopy (SEM/EDS) and electron backscatter diffraction. The solidified melt consisted of four different phases. Solidification behavior was monitored by heat-flux differential scanning calorimetry (DSC). The phase equilibrium has been further investigated by thermodynamic calculations. The observed phase compositions as well as DSC signals are reasonably explained using the calculation of phase diagrams (CALPHAD) approach.
KeywordsLead-free soldering solidification CALPHAD DSC simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.D. Napp, Sampe J. 32, 59 (1996).Google Scholar
- 7.S. Heart, Clean 36, 145 (2008).Google Scholar
- 11.M. Palcut, J. Sopoušek, L. Trnková, E. Hodulová, B. Szewczyková, M. Ožvold, M. Turňa, and J. Janovec, Kovove Mater. 47, 43 (2009).Google Scholar
- 16.http://gttserv.lth.rwth-aachen.de/~cg/Consulting/Workshops/WS2008/Dinsdale_2008.pdf (6.83 MB, accessed 14 Sept 2009).
- 17.A.T. Dinsdale, A. Watson, A. Kroupa, J. Vr̆ešt'ál, A. Zemanová, and J. Vízdal, COST Action 531—Atlas of Lead-free Soldering. COST Office 2008, ISBN 978-80-86292-28-1.Google Scholar
- 26.J.H. Shim, C.S. Oh, B.J. Lee, and D.N. Lee, Z. Metallkunde 87, 205 (1996).Google Scholar
- 31.W.J. Boettinger, U.R. Kattner, K.-W. Moon, and J.-H. Perepezko, DTA and Heat-flux DSC Measurements of Alloy Melting and Freezing (Washington: National Institute of Standards and Technology, 2006).Google Scholar