Mitigation of Sn Whisker Growth by Composite Ni/Sn Plating
- 124 Downloads
This paper considers the influence of composite pulse electroplated nickel/tin (Ni/Sn) layering on the mitigation of Sn whisker growth. The performance of the composite pulsed plating method in the mitigation of Sn whisker growth is also compared with two other plating procedures. The results indicate that, after a period of 6 months, the composite pulsed plating technique demonstrates much better resistance to Sn whisker growth than other plating techniques such as pure Sn plating and Sn plating with a Ni underlayer onto a brass substrate subjected to various environmental conditions. The primary conclusions are based on the analysis of microstructural characteristics, the average residual stress distribution in the film over different time periods computed by x-ray diffraction, the formation of intermetallic compounds, and the amount of Sn whisker growth in each case.
KeywordsMitigation Sn whisker residual stress analysis composite pulsed electroplating Ni underlayer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.iNEMI Recommendations on Lead-Free Finishes for Components Used in High-Reliability Products, Version 4 (2006).Google Scholar
- 4.Y. Hada, O. Morikawa, and H. Togami, Proceedings of the 26th Annual Relay Conference (Stillwater, OK, 25–26 April 1978), p. 9-1.Google Scholar
- 8.X. Chen, C.L. Fan, Y. Zhang, and J.A. Abys, J. On Board Technol. 2, 30 (2004).Google Scholar
- 10.J.C. Puippe and F. Leaman, Theory and Practice of Pulse Plating (Orlando, FL: AES, 1986).Google Scholar
- 12.M.P. Groover, Fundamentals of Modern Manufacturing (Hoboken, NJ: Wiley, 2007), p. 3e.Google Scholar
- 13.M.-H. Lu and K.-C. Hsieh, J. Electron. Mater. 36, 11 (2007).Google Scholar
- 15.Y. Zhang, C. Xu, C. Fan, J. Abys, and A. Vysotskaya, Proceedings of IPC SMEMA APEX Conference (New Orleans, LA, 3–7 November 2002), p. S06-1-1.Google Scholar
- 16.Joint Electron Device Engineering Council Standard JESD201.Google Scholar
- 19.J.A. Pineault, M. Belassel, and M.E. Brauss, ASM Handbook, Volume 11: Failure Analysis and Prevention (ASM International, Materials Park, OH, 2002), pp. 484–497.Google Scholar
- 21.A.D. Krawitz, R.A. Winholtz, and C.M. Weisbrook, Mater. Sci. Eng. A 206, 176 (1995).Google Scholar
- 22.J.W. Price, Tin and Tin Alloy Plating (Ayr, Scotland: Electrochemical, 1983).Google Scholar