Impulse Response Time Measurements in Hg0.7Cd0.3Te MWIR Avalanche Photodiodes
- First Online:
The response time of front-sided illuminated n-on-p Hg0.7Cd0.3Te electron avalanche photodiodes (e-APDs) at T = 77 K was studied using impulse response measurements at λ = 1.55 μm. We measured typical rise and fall times of 50 ps and 800 ps, respectively, at gains of M ≈ 100, and a record gain-bandwidth (GBW) product of GBW = 1.1 THz at M = 2800. Experiments as a function of the collection width have shown that the fall time is strongly limited by diffusion. Variable-gain measurements showed that the impulse response is first-order sensitive to the level of the output amplitude. Only a slight increase in the rise time and the fall time was observed with the gain at constant output amplitude, which is consistent with a strongly dominant electron multiplication. Comparisons of the experimental results with Silvaco finite element simulations confirmed the diffusion limitation of the response time and allowed the illustration of the transit time and RC effects.
KeywordsHgCdTe APD bandwidth BW impulse response time Silvaco simulation LPE MBE
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.J.D. Beck, M. Woodall, R. Scritchfield, M. Ohlson, L. Wood, P. Mitra, and J.E. Robinson, J. Electron. Mater. 37 (2008). doi:10.1007/s11664-008-0433-4
- 5.I. Baker, S. Duncan, and J. Copley, Proc. SPIE 5406, 133 (2004). doi:10.1117/12.541484
- 6.M. Vaidyanathan, A. Joshi, S. Xue, B. Hanyaloglu, M. Thomas, M. Zandian, D. Edwall, G. Williams, J. Blackwell, W. Tennant, and G. Hughes, 2004 IEEE Aerospace Conference Proc., p. 1776Google Scholar
- 10.G. Perrais, J. Rothman, G. Destefanis, J. Baylet, P. Castelein, J.-P. Chamonal, and P. Tribolet, Proc. SPIE, 6935, 69350H (2006)Google Scholar
- 12.J. Rothman, G. Perrais, P. Ballet, L. Mollard, S. Gout, and J.-P. Chamonal, J. Electron. Mater. 37 (2008). doi:10.1007/s11664-008-0449-9
- 14.B.E.A. Saleh, M.M. Hayat, M.C. Teich, IEEE Trans. Electron Dev. 10, 1415 (1992)Google Scholar
- 19.S.M. Sze, K.K. Ng, Physics of Semiconductor Devices, 3rd ed. (New York: Wiley, 2007), p. 678Google Scholar
- 20.Atlas User’s Manual, September 2007, http://www.silvaco.com